View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Constipation 

Post Constipation
I've read on this forum many times about Miralax. My LO has had a few bouts of constipation and I know how dangerous it can be for LBD. I give him Miralax. This latest bout was over four days. On the fifth day, I contacted his primary doctor (who isn't well-versed on LBD). I spoke with the office in the morning. I didn't get a call back from the office until late afternoon, early evening. Never did get to talk to the doctor. He advised his front office to call me and have me give my LO milk of magnesia, 30 mg. twice a day until he had a good BM. Well, by that time, we had resolved the problem. Gave him regular coffee in the morning with Miralax mixed in, then prune juice. That worked somewhat. At bedtime, I gave him more Miralax. My question is, has anyone had experience with the milk of magnesia in LBD patients? It seems a little too harsh. I've only read on this forum about Miralax. I think we've reached the point where I need to give it to him every night.

Thanks for listening,
Terri

Thu May 16, 2013 10:56 am

Post Re: Constipation
Milk of magnesia has been my husband's bowel salvation for years. If he doesn't have a BM in three days, he gets MOM. He requires the maximum dose.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu May 16, 2013 12:08 pm

My mom used to be prescribed to take Miralax for her constipation , but no longer. The hospice staff took all of their patients off of it. They said if plenty of water is not consumed on a regular basis that the Miralax tends to form a hard mass. Mama drinks water, but I was not sure if she drank enough . So this did not bother me.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:14 pm

I have to say for us it was the regular use of prune juice that helped. Sometimes coffee (but a safe cup with a lid due to difficulties holding a cup) also was helpful. Also, I would help him to the bathroom as many times as it took - remaining patient and supportive was always best. I just hated knowing he was uncomfortable and tried to keep him as hydrated as possible to help prevent it--not always easy. While we were able, short walks for exercise would also help with things. Hope this helps

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:12 pm

All good points here and I just want to stress how important it is for them to be hydrated as much as possible, that is almost always the reason they get constapated to begin with. In the latter part of the illness for my husband we had to use suppositories every 3 days.
Good Luck I hope you get a good system working for him !

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:24 am
Profile WWW

It's been quite awhile since I've posted on the forum. Changes have been downhill here and rapid, mostly in the delusions, hallucinations, and paranoia. As to the constipation, I have been mixing Miralax in his prune juice daily. Sometimes I use other juices he likes. I have to constantly push the water. Sometimes I put the koolaid flavoring in it and sometimes he'll drink sweet tea, though I know caffeinated beverages aren't the best for hydration. I've heard you have to drink two glasses of water for every glass of coffee. Don't know how true that is. His rapid increase in delusions and some discussion about his urinating led me to think he may have a UTI. Doctor prescribed antibiotic and it really didn't make much difference, some maybe. It did give him very loose stools and now that he's cleared from that, he's constipated again and I've restarted the Miralax. I've noticed he's not using the bathroom for much at all lately. Still trying to push water. Day at a time.

God bless all for your input.
Terri

Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Caffeine may not be the best for hydration but it is a bowel stimulant.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:57 pm

I need help with this.My wife has Miralax in the morning in water but it doesn't seem to help much. Prune juice, suppsitories and Prune Juice Coctail don't help at times. She goes at least once a month with a period of 6-8 days without going. Doctors don't seem too worried like I do. Never asked abut MOM.

Any hints of what I can do? I have had to remove Impactionn about twice in last six months.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Caffeine has the opposite effect for me and I know of a few other people too, so you may want to see if there is any correlation. Does she eat plenty of whole grains, fruits, vegetables and eliminate white breads, white potatoes and cheese? I think I've heard that white sugar can get people constipated too. Lynn

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Lynn, she does drink some coffee. She eats an apple a day. Yes she does have cheese on her salad at noon. Not many potatoes but that is a thought. I had eliminated potatoes altogether and things were smoother! Thanks

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:17 am

I'd try the "5 servings a day of fruit and veg." that is now recommended PLUS whole grains (cereal, breads), unless that is what you are already doing. Oh, and eliminate chocolate since that can be incredibly constipating. Hope you find something that works. Lynn

Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:24 pm

Thanks Lynn. Never thought of chocolate. funny thing is we dicovered she had gone in between the 10 days but we could not see the deposit in the bowl. It slid down. She had insisted she had gone and I could not see the proof! I just had the same thing happen to me. The things I continue to learn. I'll stop the cheese. She tries to drink at least 5 glasses of liquid a day, about 45 oz. She never could make it to 64. Thanks Again

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:00 pm

You're welcome. You are doing such a good job as CG, something most of us never really think we will have to do. Take care, Lynn

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:49 pm

My Mom has had constipation as a problem all her life. LBD has seemed to make it much worse. When she was hospitalized as they were doing her workup and later diagnosed LBD, she was so so badly impacted that it took 5 days to clean her out. Upon discharge, the Neurologist prescribed Lactulose, which is a non-harmful laxative. The only folks that shouldn't take it are diabetics, given its high sugar content. It seems to be one of the only non harmful laxatives on the market but is only available by prescription. Mom can have up to 4 tablespoons per day, and we've worked on the timing of doses, where one in the morning and one at night seems to work for her. If given the 4 tbs during the day, it can produce the "runs." We sometimes add suppositories, but the Lactulose does not create the masses that are found with Miralax. One day in the hospital, the nurses claimed she had the runs and it turned out it was the Miralax that was running its course around the impacted bowels. An xray orded by the Neurologist proved that. She had been so badly impacted that she was not urinating, and had to be straight catherized every 6 hours. They taught me how to do that just in case we needed to do that upon discharge, however, once she was cleared out she urinated on her own within 15 minutes. I'd highly recommend investigating Lactulose for continual constipation.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:30 am

I've been cramming fiber down my man's throat (not literally). He chews two Fiber Plus tablets a day, eats at least 2 apples, I add BeneFiber to everything I serve him and make sure veggies or sweet potato are on the menu for dinner.

Fortunately, he's always been a good liquid consumer, but the high fiber intake has been kicker for him.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next