View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Anethesia for Cardioversion? 

Post Anethesia for Cardioversion?
My husband has been recently diagnosed and in the two months prior to diagnosis had a bad reaction to both general anesthesia and an epidural. He now needs to have a procedure to return his heart to normal rhythm. This procedure requires that he be anesthesized for a short period of time as opposed to his two prior surgeries which each were more than an hour. Does anyone have experience with their LO having cardioversion and if so were there anesthesia problems ? Also, what type of anesthesia was used? Any info will be helpful.
Thanks, Katie

Sun May 26, 2013 11:45 pm

Post Re: Anethesia for Cardioversion?
Sorry it took so long to answer your question as I didn't see it

I would follow other caregiver's suggestions to use
medazolam (Versed) and propofol (diprivan) and omit fentanyl.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:21 am
Profile WWW

Thank you Irene, That is very helpful.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:39 pm

Good luck Katie, and let us know how it works. This procedure is likely to be in my future and I am terrified of having to be under a gen. anesthesia and end up with LBD. There seem to be so many anecdotal situations where this has happened to seemingly healthy people. It will be good to know what works for your husband and if it makes his LBD symptoms and worse, or he stays the same. I hope all goes well. Lynn

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:23 pm

Lynn,
Thanks for the support. Just to be clear, even though my husband was diagnosed after the two surgeries, he had symptoms prior to them and we were in the process of seeking a diagnosis when he had an accident which required the surgeries. I believe the anesthesia did bring to the forefront underlying symptoms, but they have receeded greatly now that he is two months from his last surgery. The cardioversion procedure is very brief, just a few minutes. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again, Katie

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:18 pm

There are several people I know personally, as well as quite a few postings on this forum where people had LOs who supposedly had NO signs of dementia prior to surgery. Then, immediately following surgery obvious symptoms of dementia appeared. Actually, my dad was one of those people. He had a hip replacement done at 83 and hadn't shown any signs of dementia but shortly after the hip surgery his behavior and appearance changed pretty dramatically but sporadically too. I'm glad your LO has bounced back some from the symptoms post-surgery - you are both lucky that that has happened. The local MD director of a memory center recently said in a presentation that anesthesia may or may not CAUSE dementia (not enough research yet on cause & effect), but in quite a few people it seems to be the catalyst for some people's dementia symptoms to appear rather dramatically.

I'm on a campaign to not have any general anesthesia and encourage my family members to do the same if it can be avoided, as a result of my observations in the world of LBD.

Again, all the best. Hope things go well. Lynn

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Just wanted to give an update on my husband's Cardioversion procedure. It went VERY WELL with no side effects. He awoke in minutes and was aware and relevant. He asked the doctors if his heart was in regular rythym as soon as they woke him. Both the cardiologist and anesthesiologist were very pleased. Neither the doctors or nurses were familiar with LBD but all were very concerned. I had brought them the full anesthesia report from my husband's two previous surgeries and they reveiwed them and asked us a lot of questions. They gave my husband Propofol and it worked perfectly.
Thank you for your concern and support. I hope this information is helpful to others.
Katie

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks so much for posting the outcome Katie and I'm so glad it went so well. And, now you have informed another team of medical professionals about LBD, which is in the best interest of all future patients and their families. It's really important to spread the word. Lynn

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:00 pm

I am so glad that the procedure went well !

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]