View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 White blood cell count and Seroquel 

Post White blood cell count and Seroquel
My mother (86 with LBD) has a history of regular UTI's. Recently she started Seroquel (25mg morning and night). The last few days she is showing all her normal signs of another UTI - acute leaning, more anxiety and acting out - but all the urine samples are dip-testing clear.
Is it possible that the Seroquel is lowering the white blood cell count? Her doctor doesn't know but was prepared to listen to the possibility and has sent one off for lab testing and she too would be interested in knowing whether my theory is a possibility.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:27 am

Post Re: White blood cell count and Seroquel
Leukocytopenia [low white blood cells] is very rarely associated with the newer neuroleptics, according to several articles I've found. My husband had UTIs throughout his disease process, years prior to his taking Seroquel, due to a neurogenic bladder and prostatitis. But it's an idea worth exploring.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:32 am

Bingo!! Although the samples weren't showing an increase in leukocytes on the dip test Mum was suffering from yet another UTI. Our GP can't understand it - but agrees that it looks as if the seroquel is affecting it!. I now have an arrangement that if I see any symptoms of a UTI (normally a worsening of the constant calling/leaning/gripping) the sample will be sent for lab testing regardless of the dip test results. Hope this 'anomaly' may help someone else!

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:03 am

Chandris - it sounds like your LO's drs. could use some education about LBD. Have you gotten the pamphlets about it from the LBDA, or any books about it that you could pass along to educate the medical people where you are? There are still so many drs. who don't know anything (or much) about dementias other than Alz. Educating them will help not only your LO but others they may be treating now and in the future. Have a peaceful day, Lynn

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:07 am

Chandris - it sounds like your LO's drs. could use some education about LBD. Have you gotten the pamphlets about it from the LBDA, or any books about it that you could pass along to educate the medical people where you are? There are still so many drs. who don't know anything (or much) about dementias other than Alz. Educating them will help not only your LO but others they may be treating now and in the future. Have a peaceful day, Lynn

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:07 am

Yes, Lynn, I know, and I have learnt so much from the forums over the months. I didn't like to request the pamphlets since I am in England - but I have given her GP and consultant psychiatrist copies of The Caregivers Guide to LBD by the Whitworths - which I find invaluable. If the consultant knew as much as he says he does about LBD, he would not have 'put Mum to sleep' for 30 hours by giving her Librium - I told him I was very unhappy about ANY benzodiazapines. I have finally got him to agree to me using Seroquel but it's been an awful battle, and it always seems to be me that takes the final responsibility about administration times etc. Nights are now relatively good, but she is still very anxious daytimes - calling for me all the time, even when the carers are here. She has 25mg of Seroquel after breakfast - which sends her back to sleep for an hour - and then I'm back to square one.
Thanks, and take care x

Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:32 am

Hi Chandris, Don't know if you already have this but here's a link to an on-line publication you could refer the doctor to.

National Institute of Health has just published a new educational publication on Lewy body dementias. This 40-page booklet helps people with LBD, their families, and professionals learn more about the disease and resources for coping.

The booklet was a collaboration among the Lewy Body Dementia Association (LBDA), the Shiley-Marcos Alzheimer's Disease Research Center at the University of California, San Diego, the National Institute on Aging (NIA) and National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS).

This is the link:
http://lbda.org/content/lbd-booklet/introduction

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:15 pm

Chandris,

My mom also has anti-anxiety meds during the day....couldn't make it without them. She is on a regimen of Xanax at 10 a.m., 4:00.pm. and bedtime along with Zyprexa...last med has become a problem. GOOD LUCK!

Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]