View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Has anyone with LBD been put on Clozaril or Risperdol? 

Post Has anyone with LBD been put on Clozaril or Risperdol?
My husband is in the hospital right now, and the serquel does not work for him at all. I am looking to find an alternative but wanted too see if others with LBD have been given this with any results? I am advising the doctor in some ways but anything anyone may have been given besides seroquel that helped with the hallucinations/dellusions and sleep would be greatly appreciated, we are coming to a critical state right now with meds for him.

Thank you
Sue

Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Post Re: Has anyone with LBD been put on Clozaril or Risperdol?
Many with LBD, including my husband, have had bad results from Risperdal but there are also some with LBD who do well on it. My husband does fine on Seroquel, where yours does not. If the physician orders a very low dose to start and monitors him well, that might prevent a bad reaction. We have no experience with Clozaril but note that it is anticholinergic and sometimes that is not good in LBD. You might want to look up the symptoms of NMS [neuroleptic malignant syndrome], which can be a dangerous side effect from antipsychotic medications in those with PD or LBD.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:57 pm

Post Re: Has anyone with LBD been put on Clozaril or Risperdol?
My wife has been on Clozaril for over a year. It was prescribed for her hallucinations. The hallucinations have not gone away but have remained about the same for over a year. But there have been 2 positive side effects. It puts her to sleep almost immediately and she sleeps well for 8-10 hours. This gives me a good nights rest and she is well rested the next morning. The other positive effect is that it reduced her hand/arm tremor to the point where she could sign her name again. She was taking a gradually increasing dose and is now at 62.5 mgm. She had to have a white cell count one a week, but now its once a month. Its important becouse a side effect is lower white cell count that can lead to infections.

Andy

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]