View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Is Ativan safe for Lewy Bodies? Any other ideas? 

Post Re: Meds as LBD progresses
Thank You for your responses regarding risks and appropriateness of Zyprexa. As time passes living with LBD in my highly intelligent mother, one seems to always be seeking new answers. But I agree that Seroquel seems to be the tried and true choice, even though dosing it in advance of outbursts can be tricky. Please share your experience in how you dose Seroquel over the course of the waking day to stave off potential aggressive outbursts.

Also what have you all witnessed in terms of stiffness in the extremities (PD-like immobility).....are you all using drugs for PD as well, and how do they mix with Seroquel?

Thank You.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:51 am

Post Re: Is Ativan safe for Lewy Bodies? Any other ideas?
My husband has been on PD meds and Seroquel. Since his high doses of carbidopa-levodopa tend to exacerbate his hallucinations, agitation and combativeness, Seroquel helps to control this. He is currently on 50mg three times a day but he started with only 12.5mg in the afternoon when he tended to be most agitated.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:21 am

My mother is on 25 mg of seroquel, twice a day - once first thing in morning, once around 6 pm, right after dinner and shortly before she is ready to go to sleep.
She started with 12.5 mg twice a day, then we increased the bedtime one after a few months when she was having delusions/ fears in evening, then had to balance to 25 mg 2x/day. If she did not have a balanced dosage, she had problems. But we can tell if she happens to miss one. Last time that happened, a couple of weeks ago, she got frantic that my childhood friend (who is like another daughter to my folks) had disappeared and must have committed suicide. Took forever to get her calmed down. But that's the only problem in many months.
Laurel

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:38 am

My Husband took 25mg at 6,10,2,4 During the day and at bedtime took 50 mg for a total of 150 mg per day it was the only thing that seemed to work, we didn't wait until the event happen, we learned to treat before it happened.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:43 am
Profile WWW

My mom was on Ativan around the clock, and not switched to Xanax, in an attempt to get incontinence under control. It has been an absolute lifesaver for her and the family. Calms her, but doesn't knock her out. Good luck.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:21 pm

my husband had anger issues with Ativan, he is on 1 mg of Xanax twice a day and it really works well for him. he is also on abilify and Depakote. He takes bromocritpine for the stiffness, it helps some.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:55 pm

Just weighing in....

Seroquel seems to be my mom's worst enemy...causes agitation and the drs are looking for something else.

They tried Depakote for four days and on day 4 she turned into a werewolf.

Yes, Zyprexa was tried and work VERY WELL for my mom, but had to be discontinued because after 6 weeks of being her pleasant self, she becoame a three-person assist.

We may be forced to go back to it because nothing else seems to help her.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:30 am

If it keeps her calm but has bad physical results I'd say do whatever it takes to keep her calm. If no facility will take her because of her out of control behavior, that is a big problem. If she is calm but is a 2 - 3 person assist, any facility can do that. It is horrible to have to make a choice like this, but it may be your only choice in the end. Good luck, please let us know how things are going, and please take care of yourself. This has to be incredibly painful for you to deal with, seeing your LO suffer like this. Hugs, Lynn

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2