View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Medicaid 

Post Medicaid
Hi All:

I would like to know how many on here have loved ones in long term care, which is being paid by Medicaid. How do they calculate what the spouse gets to live on? I am at the door to Medicaid and want to know if I should open it. Currently, my husband is in the hospital because of a staph infection on his skin surrounding his feeding tube. Before being admitted to the hospital, he became hard to handle at home because of not being able to walk well due to becoming weak from the infection. His doctor doesn't want him to come home because I am the only one here to take care of him and I am running myself ragged from doing so. He thinks my husband needs more people on hand to take care of my husband. So the Medicaid question is weighing on my mind.

Does Medicaid consider the debts you owe (i.e., car payments, back taxes - his, school loans, etc.)?

Please advise. Thanks.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:38 pm

Post Re: Medicaid
Beth,

You should be sure that the rules are specific to your state. I'd suggest you speak with the social worker where your husband is to get some guidance as to who can advise you about how things would work. There is no harm in gathering the information.

Julianne

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:16 am

My husband is now on Medicaid after 14 months of private pay in the SNF. In WA you can download a pretty detailed description of the calculations used and how much of your estate has to be 'spent down' and how much income you will have to live on. We still pay the SNF but it's a fraction of what we did before. I have barely enough to live on, not all expenses are considered but I am so grateful that we could receive these services!!! I was so worried we would run out of money. I even cashed in my IRA to pay the SNF so of course I was concerned about my future but at least his care is being mostly paid for---including his medications. His SNF bill was $8K/month and medications and supplies ran about $2K/month so it makes a huge difference.

If you can't get the information online, call your local social services agency and they will send you the paperwork. Getting it early gives you an idea of what you're facing.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Last edited by mockturtle on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Pat:

You pretty much answered my question. I don't want to live on barely enough to get by. Thanks.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]