View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Levomepromazine for Agitation 

Post Levomepromazine for Agitation
Hi, I haven’t posted for a couple of years as with the help of the wonderful people who contribute to this forum we have been able to keep dad at home and quite comfortable most of the time. However he is now completely bed-bound and cannot do a thing for himself. He got shingles several months ago and then an infection on his back which has never cleared up. His back is covered in a dressing which has to be changed every couple of days. He is very unhappy and keeps repeating “die, die”. We have been told he is nearing end of life and different nurses are sitting with him throughout the night. This is a big help to my mum as she has almost gone crazy looking after him. We have been left with some medication to be injected by a doctor if my dad gets badly agitated. It is called Levomepromazine. (I think in the States it is called Methotrimeprozine). My dad has had bad reactions to drugs in the past and I wondered if anyone else has had experience with this?

Thanks

Dad (Reg) aged 90 with LBD since at least 2002.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:18 am

Post Re: Levomepromazine for Agitation
It's the same type of drug as Thorazine and is a dopamine blocker and highly anticholinergic. It is potentially one of the worst types of drugs to give anyone with PD or LBD. Please clear it with his neurologist before administering it. This is based on my limited knowledge of pharmacology as an RN and what I have learned about LBD, so take it for what it's worth.

I'm sorry to hear of your father's condition and hope you can find other medications that will help him during his end of life. God bless!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Post Re: Levomepromazine for Agitation
Mockturtle

I appreciate your feedback, it is how I suspected and your reply has confirmed my fears. I will be asking for an alternative and will post here the suggestions. My dad has had enough and making the care he gets at the end of life as comfortable as possible is the last act of kindness I can do for him.

Thank you

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]