View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Day Patch just FDA approved for early symptoms PD? Info? 
Post Day Patch just FDA approved for early symptoms PD? Info?
Hi, it's WifeLiz. Pls excuse my absence. Have been in care of oncologist for bone marrow problem, as yet unidentified. I'm so sorry, as you all helped me earlier so much.

My Hubby has LBD w/ Parkinsonism, so this may not even be applicable. I heard a "blip" on Today Show News yesterday (5/10/07)that FDA just approved a patch (change everyday) for early symptoms of Parkinson's Disease. Obviously in my Dear Hubby's case, as he is only 52 (therefore PD drugs are not recommended, in case of need for long term use, therefore long term undesirable psychoactive effects eventually;also he has Parkinsonism, which local neuro says is worsening, but has been ruled out completely as "plain" Parkinson's Disease), and we've not yet returned to Mayo because of me, we don't know the name, the trials, its complete list of uses, etc.

I felt sure someone here might know about this new patch. Thank you in advance. His case is worsening, moreso w/ "whoops" wrong drug or light anesthesia, say for GI scopes, biopsies; but usually at a steady, slow rate, slower than when I joined here. I know there are fluctuations. It seems mid stage.
Thank you so much as always. Wishing you all the best.
Love, WifeLiz

Fri May 11, 2007 8:25 am

Thanks for the heads up on this... I found a write up on FDA.gov

FDA Approves Neupro Patch for Treatment of Early Parkinson's Disease

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today announced the approval of Neupro (rotigotine transdermal system), a skin patch designed to treat symptoms of early Parkinson's disease.

Rotigotine is a drug not previously approved in the United States. Neupro is the first transdermal patch approved for the treatment of symptoms of Parkinson's disease.

Parkinson's disease, which belongs to a group of conditions called motor system disorders, results from the loss of dopamine-producing brain cells. Rotigotine, a member of the dopamine agonist class of drugs, is delivered continuously through the skin (transdermal) using a silicone-based patch that is replaced every 24 hours. A dopamine agonist works by activating dopamine receptors in the body, mimicking the effect of the neurotransmitter dopamine.

More:
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01631.html

Victoria; loving daughter of Maureen of Boston, MA; dx'd with LBD in 2/2006; fell victim to rapid decline from Risperidone; Was successful on Celexa, Exelon, ALA & B1; Mom became my Guardian Angel on Sept. 30th, 2006.

Fri May 11, 2007 7:59 pm

This is going to be very similar to the other dopamine-system drugs for PD, but possibly smoother/cleaner in terms of absorption, which I understand to be the real challenge with these drugs (so called On/Off phenomena).

The risk of all of these is the risk of worsening hallucinations. I have no reason to believe (and I don't see any published evidence) that this drug is going to be any less likely to cause problems than the others.

E

Cal is not the real name of a real 84 year old with DLB. I don't speak for LBDA, nor do I have clever initials behind my name, so information is provided without warranty. Caveat everybody. I blog at http://PragmaticCaregiver.blogspot.com

Sat May 12, 2007 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]