View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Namenda dosage 

Post Namenda dosage
Hi all. I seem to remember one of the posts which said their husband took his Namenda in the a.m. only. I was wondering why that was done, what were the issues when it was taken 2 times a day? My husband who was dx with PD many years ago, and then dx with PDD in the past year, they tried Exelon but it made the confusion/hallucinations worse, so they tried Namenda. He tolerated it at first, but by the time we titrated up to the 2 doses of 10mg each twice a day his PD symptoms increased greatly. He could hardly walk, whereas he had been walking up to a mile a day. So we have decreased it and he is down to 5 mg. in the a.m. he is back to walking and I am not sure what it does for his cognition--if anything it is bad. Carol

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:14 am

Post Re: Namenda dosage
Carol, I am not sure about that, but I know that the cognitive meds can make movement worse and the movement meds can make cognitive worse.

As John is progressing, I seem to be seeing that he may need less of one of his meds than in the past. It could be greater sensitivity to meds as he ages or the LBD progresses. He recently came off Concerta, which was for ADD and which he took prior to LBD diagnosis for alertness while he was working. It had dizziness as a side effect, as did 3 of his other meds. The dizziness is greatly reduced since he stopped it and his cognitive does not seem to be that affected.

Today I noticed that he walked better after I forgot to put on his Exelon patch. So I emailed his neurologist and asked if we could cut it in half for a few days to see if that helped his movement without hurting his cognition. He agreed. So we will be trying that to see if it helps. Movement is more of a threat to John's health now---had a fall recently that sent us to the ER.

I try to observe carefully and note patterns if there is some change. If I suspect that something might work in tweaking his meds, I discuss it with his doctors and they are great about letting us try to tweak the meds to keep John balanced. This is where the good medical team, trust, and good communication with the caregiver really pays off for me. And it has made a difference for John a number of times.

Wish I knew more about the Namenda to help you. John does great on it, but he started with cognitive issues first.

Take care,
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Carol,
It's unusual for Namenda to have parkinsonism side effects, but not unheard of. Perhaps speak with the neurologist about eliminating Namenda. I believe those who took Namenda only in the morning did so because it seemed to have a negative effect on sleep.
Robin

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:24 am

My husband is now down to 5mg. in the morning only, and the ability to walk has returned. He still has hallucinations - had them from the beginning, and seroquel helps him sleep quietly at night, and I don't think the namenda helped his cognition at all, the Doctor is having us slowly take him off of it, which we are doing. Carol

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Have you and the MD considered trying a different AChEI -- Aricept or Razadyne? I know some people can tolerate one of the three only.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:37 pm

I agree with Robin, Carol. It is worth a try.
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]