View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Fore! 

Post Fore!
Coy had his first golf outing of the season today.

He is having big issues with unsteadiness. He is doing PT and his PCA helps him follow through on his exercises at home, and maybe that will help, but he sure isn't better yet. So sending him off with a big bag of clubs and a pocket full of tees was a little scary.

The league starts at the time he usually gets out of bed. His PCA came two and a half hours early to shepherd him through the morning routines. It was the first morning in two weeks he hasn't begged for "just 15 more minutes" in bed. He had a reason to get up!

We arrived and they paired him up with a volunteer and then asked if the PCA would like to ride along too, and they got another golf cart for her. Huh! They never offered that to me last year. My plan was for her to hang around the clubhouse as I did last year, to be available in case there was a problem. Having her on the course with him was even better. She'd never driven a golf cart and she got a big kick out of it. I went back home and logged some work time.

She thought the most tiring part for Coy was getting in and out of the cart. They have special permission to drive the carts right up to the ball, so the amount of walking was minimal, but nine holes certainly totally wiped him out. We stopped at the near-by German restaurant Coy likes so well, and I thought he was going to fall asleep in his sausage platter. But there is a cure for being tired, and we applied it as soon as we got home.

I brought both his cooling vest and a heavy sweatshirt, because his internal thermostat is way off kilter this summer, but he didn't use either, enjoying the perfect June day, with a gentle breeze.

I can't tell you how thrilled I am that he can still have this in his life. It is exercise, it is fresh air, it is a little socializing, and it reassures him that his life isn't over just yet.

I posted this under treatment options, remembering that Dr. Boeve claims remaining active may be more effective than many drugs.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:16 am

Post Re: Fore!
Glad for Coy that he's able to hit the links. Hard for me to believe that just a couple of years ago I was taking Derek to the driving range.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:23 am

I'm encouraged and so happy for you and Coy. I'm hoping as we get on at UCLA, they can find something appropriate for my LO that will improve his deep depression. As long as that sticks around so strongly, I can't get him interested in anything. Two things outside of putzing around the house and yard my LO has really liked is camping and fishing. He hasn't fished in a long-long time and we haven't gone camping in awhile either. Part of the problem is our very elderly dog, but most is his total lack of interest. UCLA look out!!! We're coming for ya!!!

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:12 pm

Yay, Coy! Very happy to hear this.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:10 am

Pat, whenever I hear that physical and social activity is therauputic, I think of you and Derek and a particular caregiver in my local group. You did maintain that activity right up to the last possible moment (and maybe a little beyond -- didn't you say that those last sessions on the driving range weren't exactly beneficial?) And maybe the decline would have come sooner if you hadn't. Who knows? All we caregivers can do is try to keep our loved ones active and engaged at whatever level they can do it, for as long as they can respond. And how long that may be is not under our control. I know we are exceptionally lucky that Coy has such a mild case (if "lucky" can ever be applied to Lewy).

Were there any activities that you thought were particularly helpful or enjoyable for Derek, during the years he could be somewhat active?

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:54 am

He played golf through 2005. After that, he was physically able but too delusional and with too many hallucinations to play. Since then, to 2010, just the driving range. He would sometimes line up backwards or sideways to the range and I'd have to try to redirect him before he hit someone. What surprised me is that, though he could barely stand, he was able to hit some short iron shots.

His interest declined at about the same rate as his ability. He has been unable to stand for about a year. Every day [when he permits it], the restorative therapist takes him to the gym and does upper and lower body range of motion and strengthening exercises. Sometimes she gets him standing at the parallel bars while holding onto his gait belt. This gives him some weight bearing. Sometimes he can 'walk' a few steps but I can see that she and the parallel bars are bearing most of his weight. I SO appreciate what she does and I sit and applaud while she encourages his efforts.

As I've mentioned before, we have 'balloon ball' twice a week, the activities person and myself being the balloon chasers. We play lively music while the 12-14 participants sit around a long table in their wheelchairs and bat two balloons around the table. It's more fun than you might think. Fun for me, too! :P It's so interesting to see how Derek is usually able to reflexively swat the balloon but if it lands in front of him and he has to think about it, he just freezes up and can't get rid of it and someone else has to hit it away. The old 'reflexive vs. voluntary' gap. He seems to enjoy it most of the time although it's often hard to tell. :|

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:34 am

Yay, Coy!!!
I wish John had more hobbies. I need a crowbar to get him out of his recliners most days.

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]