View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Training Caregivers for your Loved One 

Post Training Caregivers for your Loved One
Hi everyone. For the past 5 months I have hired a caregiver to stay with my
husband one afternoon a week while I play golf...for 4 hours. It was because he
would get anxious and sometimes couldn't find a chair to sit in because they
were all occupied by his "Lewy" people. I spoke to the caregiver about the lack
of training they seem to get, it wasn't against her specifically---the company
is doing a disservice to all caregivers when they don't train them about the
different dementias or provide them tools to engage the client! So she related
my concern to her boss, and thus, they have asked me to do a training seminar on
some of the tools, what I have learned about Parkinsons, and now Lewy. (I
trained substitute teachers on tools/kits to put together for the classroom--in
my previous life).

I am looking for advice/suggestions...on what you think is the most important
thing. I know it is so different for everyone because they are at different
stages. I think they should come equiped with a few ideas for exercises, games,
puzzles....and then there are the safety issues--how to get the client out of
chairs.

I welcome your ideas. Carol

Thu May 24, 2012 11:44 am

Post Re: Training Caregivers for your Loved One
Good show! To me, the most important suggestion is that they play along with the delusions and hallucinations rather than try to correct them. If this is an agency that hires CNAs, they should be trained in basic body mechanics. If not, then the agency has not done its job.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu May 24, 2012 12:00 pm

I was also thinking of helping them put together tool kits with some games, exercises (I have lots of exercises that can be done sitting in a chair that were given to my husband by his Parkinsons doctor)....Carol

Thu May 24, 2012 12:23 pm

I would tell them to "expect the unexpected". This disease seems to have so many different symptoms, its patients so many unusual behaviors, etc. that one size doesn't fit all. And, what worked yesterday may not work today in caring for someone with this condition. I'd go along with Pat's suggestion that any CG NOT try to "correct" what a person has said most of the time when they are in a delusional state or having hallucinations.
This calls for tons of creativity on the part of the CGs but maybe you can give then some examples like "well, I'm going to chase these people out and not let then come back in so you can sit in that chair" or whatever the case may be. Good luck and great job! Lynn

Thu May 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Carol, what a great opportunity!
Have you read Jolene Brackey's book, Creating Moments of Joy? It is chocked full of little stories of how she handles dementia folks in nursing home settings. It might give you some ideas that can be shared in training sessions with caregivers.

She has also just come out with several videos that are calming and soothing for more advanced folks who might need those kinds of experiences as an alternative to TV with its aggitating commercials.

Teepa Snow has some good material as well if you want to look her up online. I think there are YouTube videos of her.

I would stress being very much in the moment, looking directly in their eyes, smiling, soft and reassuring voice, speaking more slowly and using fewer words. going with their flow, not rushing them, playing music they enjoy, etc.

Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Thu May 24, 2012 9:56 pm

What a great opportunity to help other dementia patients!

I second Pat's suggestion to read Creating Moments of Joy if you haven't yet.

Consider a brief statement on what to call the patient. Ask what the person prefers. It may be "Profesor Morison" or "Ms Carol" or "Lefty." Find out and use their preferred mode of address. Not many people prefer "Sweetie" or "Honey" -- unless they are from a region where that is common among strangers.

Another point to consider including -- Not all dementias are Alzheimer's. Hired caregivers need not have extensive knowledge of all kinds of dementia and how they differ, but they should be willing to read short articles about what their client has. And not to make assumptions that all persons with dementia have the same symptoms.

Fri May 25, 2012 12:28 am

ALL OF your suggestions are great. Yes, the first portion of the training will be about the difference in dementias, specifically the difference and similarities tween LBD and PDD, and AZ....what to look for and what to expect...and just when you think you know the behaviors, guess what ?? they change. The second half will be activities, exercises, and physical aids and movements to get them out of chairs, into and out of bed, go up and down steps, etc. Carol

Fri May 25, 2012 10:04 am

I wish I could be there to learn from you!
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Fri May 25, 2012 10:29 am

Has anyone ever asked their LO what they "like" or "dislike" or "want" or "need" from either us (the exceptional/primary caregiver) or the one that comes in to help? My husband told me to tell her to stop following him around, and stop talking baby talk to him...I think this is because several of her other clients are advanced AD and women, so that is another thing.....men need different things. I have downloaded and will print the LBD fact sheet, the Parkinsons Disease: Fitness Counts handbook of stretching and exercises, and lots of info about the differences and similarities of AD and PDD and LBD, and lots of info from the Whitworth's book on LBD (which I recently got and it is so very helpful especially for those newly diagnosed). Keep the ideas coming....thanks, Carol

Fri May 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Carol, the Whitworths also have a website called LBDtools. There is a trainer kit there, I think. That should be chock full of good info.
Pat

Fri May 25, 2012 3:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]