View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 A place for mom 

Post A place for mom
Hi everyone. I am looking for a dementia care place for my mom - she is beyond assisted living at this point. She lives in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and I live near Boston. If you know of any place in the Upper Peninsula of MI, Wisconsin, MA, or NH please let me know. She will need someplace that understands LBD, not just a general memory care unit. She can be combative at times. I have found Sherrill House in Boston but any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks so much
Lisa

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Post Re: A place for mom
I suggest you contact the Alzheimer's Association chapters in each of those areas and ask for their suggestions.

In MA, contact Victoria Ruff and the other MA support group leaders to get their suggestions. (I think Victoria's meetings are at Sherrill House.)

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks - I have been in touch with Victoria - was trying to broaden the search to the midwest. I will look into Alzeimer's associations. Lisa

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Start at alz.org, and then enter in the state you are looking for.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Hello Lisa! I'm sorry I'm late replying to this post, but did you ever find a facility in the Boston area? I researched a few for a respite stay for my mom, and found several good ones, but were mostly ALF's that did not have continuing care for end of life. My mom is recovering from a partial hip replacement and is being sent home next week from rehab with private care and hospice...but I'd like to have a back up facility if it proves to be too much for my dad.
Thanks!
Heidi

Wed May 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Heidi - I have her at Belmont Manor. I also looked at Briarwood and Sherrill House. I am waitlisted at Sherrill House and Briarwood turned mom down. They all seem very good...

There is a list somewhere that Victoria has facilities. Victoria's contact info is on this web page:

http://www.lbda.org/sptgroups/%2A/node? ... e%5B%5D=MA

Lisa

Thu May 17, 2012 6:03 pm

Thanks Lisa!
I'll keep those in mind..my parents are on the south side of Boston, and since she has been at the rehab, my dad has spent several hours there a few times a day, so location is essentail. I did find one really good one..Sunrise in Norwood is an ALF with a dementia unit and offers care thru end of life.
~Heidi

Tue May 22, 2012 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]