View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Speech Therapy 

Post Speech Therapy
I am new to this forum. I am a speech-language pathologist. I have a patient in a retirement home who has been diagnosed with LBD. She has a variety of problems she is dealing with. As her SLP I am hoping to help her as much as possible. She talks like I am her only friend, the only one who understands her and is patient with her.

I would like to hear on this forum any other SLPs who might be able to provide me with insight on some therapy approaches. My assessments have revealed so many areas to address. I know that bottomline we all need to make sure that she is safe in her activities of daily living.

To try to brief you on where she is in her LBD progression: she knows that she has it. She can verbalize her thoughts. She is in an assisted living apartment. Her hallucinations are getting more frequent, making it difficult to function in her apartment. We have an appointment for her GERD symptoms. She has had a MBSS, which showed good results.
We also have an appointment, when the doctor gets back from vacation, to address her depression and the hallucinations. Hope to get meds that will help, not hurt. She does have word-finding problems and difficulty with completion of tasks, attending to tasks, and auditory perception. She has behavioral episodes as well.

I appreciate any input from therapists, those experiencing lbds, and family members.

Last edited by marthaj on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:37 am

Post Re: Speech Therapy
Marthaj,

Welcome! It's impressive that you care enough about a patient to come to a forum like this.

And thanks for starting your own thread!

Probably the starting point for any speech and swallow therapy in LBD -- if the person has PDD -- should be the principles of the LSVT LOUD program, which is used in Parkinson's Disease. (LBD is an umbrella term that includes two diagnoses -- DLB and Parkinson's Disease Dementia.) In our local support group, most with PDD cannot do all of the homework required with LSVT LOUD but at least the SLP can work with the person using the overall principles of the therapy.

I asked if hypophonia was a problem yet for this lady, and you said "no." Does she have any problems with speech production?

Robin

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:06 pm

Thank you for suggesting that I post a new thread.

She does not have any speech production difficulties "yet". So, I will watch out for it.

Thank you for your suggestions - any and all!

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:53 pm

I'm curious as to what an SLP can do for this lady?

By the way, you can learn about the LSVT LOUD program at lsvtglobal.com. There are SLPs certified to provide LSVT LOUD therapy in many cities in the US. Our local support group has a set of the DVDs that we circulate among group members in case they are interested in trying the therapy at home.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:05 am

Im having a very hard time finding a SPeech therapist to treat in the home in Dumfries Va. The Medicare provider had theirs quit because they did not want to travel to Dumfries! It's so frustrating. The ST at the local hospital says ST wil do wonders for my LO but not in an enviourment outside the home.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:06 am

You checked lsvtglobal.com?

LSVT Global does have a remote set-up for communities that can't be served by someone in person.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]