View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Talking, Can't talk much 

Post Talking, Can't talk much
My mom has reached the stage where her talking is getting worse and worse. She tries hard to talk and at times can get out her words and other times it is very soft and mumbled. Does any one have any ideas on what she can do to be able to communicate with everyone? I really hate to see this happening as her memory is fantastic she just can't talk loud or clearly. What do we do when her speech is gone????
Need help,
Thanks
Sue

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Post Re: Talking, Can't talk much
Sue,

Can you come up with alternative communication strategies now in case your mother is no longer able to speak in the future? There are letter boards, picture boards, computerized systems (from DynaVox, for example), and other "assistive communication" devices.

A webinar awhile back covered this topic in some details. I may've posted my notes here but you can also find them on the PSP Forum here:
http://forum.psp.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8424
Scroll to the section on "Assistive Communication."

Has your mom ever tried speech therapy? It may be able to help with the soft voice (hypophonia) and the mumbling but it can't really help with the word finding. Does your mom have the energy and determination to do the homework required in speech therapy?

Robin

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Sue - I hope some of the suggestions Robin gave you are helpful. My heart breaks for you - it was so hard to see my poor dad going through this. He'd try and try to form the right words, and often to him, he'd think he'd said the right word. Eventually he just stopped trying to get the words out and it felt like my heart was being ripped out as I watched him struggle and tried to help him. I don't think he had the cognitive or physical skills at that point for aids to help him, but it sounds like you may be able to get something to help your mom. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Lynn

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Sue, My daughter is a teacher for special need children and made several cards with a word(s) and a picture to help Frank communicate. He didn't talk at all, didn't even try so he was beyond the point that the cards could help. As Robin said, they do have communication boards, if your Mom is able to understand how it works, it may help. Good Luck, it's a difficult road.

Take Care, Gerry

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:00 am

My husband has been in the nursing home for slightly over two years now, after falling and breaking his hip, and was unable to rehab. His speech prior to falling was fine, but after surgery, more often then not when he spoke it was mostly mumbled garble. Occasionally he would come out with understandable words, and even whole sentences. For Christmas he was given a CD/tape player, we had tried a MP3 but that just didn't work, but since getting the CD player, and having his music, (country/western) played every day when he is going to sleep, for his afternoon rest and at night at bedtime, and sometimes just in place ot TV during the day, he is vocalizing more, speaks more frequently, not always in the most polite terms, but in many cases appropriate for the circumstances, he still has garbled and mumbled speech, but he is speaking more and it is clearer. I really wish we had started it sooner, I knew he missed music, but really didn't think it would make a difference in his speech, never even thought about it, just wanted a way for him to be able to hear the music he enjoyed.

It has made enough difference in his vocalizing, that it was put into his care plan that he is to have music played.The RN at his care conference totally agreed that there was a difference in vocalizing.

He doesn't at the presenty time have a roommate, but they can put another person in his room at any time. Having it in the care plan means that even if a roommate would object it makes no difference he can still have his music played.

So you might try music to see if it will make a difference with your mother.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:06 pm
Profile YIM

Thanks for all the ideas on speech or lack of - I called her today and things did not go well, her memory is for the most part all there but she just can't get the words out clearly- Is this how LBD progresses?
I am going to make up our own word/picture board. I took photos of items in her room and at the dinning table (cups, fork, spoon, etc) and am going to put words on the cards like "would like a drink of water" photo of her water cup, "I'm hot - photo of a fan, etc.

Just so very frustrating to watch some one you love keep loosing pieces of herself and I can't help, just can't image what she is thinking and going through.
Thanks again,
Sue

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:17 pm

Another question, with LBD is the speech going down the drain just another part of LBD that is just going to happen no matter what you do as far as voice exercise etc?
Thanks
Sue

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:22 pm

Sue,

I do think that speech therapy and exercises for the voice, tongue, cheek, and throat can delay both speech production problems and dysphagia (swallowing problems). I'm not sure speech therapy can delay word-finding problems though there is the old saying about "use it or lose it."

Not everyone with LBD has word-finding problems. And not everyone with LBD becomes mute.

There are many disorders in which word-finding problems appear. They are especially prominent in various types of frontotemporal dementias (such as primary progressive aphasia). Whether your mother has Lewy Body Dementia can only be known if the brain is analyzed post-mortem.

Robin

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:03 pm

My dad had "voice issues" the last few years of his life. Sometimes he could only speak as loudly as a whisper. This would come and go, as did his ability to find the right word and speak it clearly. This fluctuated up until the moment he died. On his last morning, his speech was clear, his thoughts were clear and he even joked with his CGs and he spoke louder than a whisper. The weeks prior to that he was mostly whispering, garbled words, unable to get the right word out, etc. but even then he'd have moments of fairly normal speaking. What a strange, strange disease. "Expect the unexpected." Lynn

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]