View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Sodium SELENATE 

Post Sodium SELENATE
Has anyone heard about sodium selenate being considered as a new treatment for LBD and/or Parkinson's?
Thank you,
Roxanne

My husband's first diagnosis in 2006 at age 64: Early Cortical Lewy Body Disease. He passed in Oct. 2013 at age 71. Autopsy indicated evidence for late-stage Alzheimer's only. NO Lewy Bodies were found in the hemisphere of his brain that was studied..?

Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Post Re: Sodium SELENATE
Roxanne, I know they are looking at it in relation to Alzheimer's but I think most, if not all, studies have been on mice. But it would seem to affect tau proteins [at least in mice] so it sounds promising. I don't think just increasing selenium has shown to be effective. Robin might have some input on this.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:02 pm

I checked my email archives for info on PD and selenium. Apparently, it's an antioxidant that can be obtained by eating garlic, eggs, chicken, grains, red meat, fish and shellfish. That's the extent of what I know on the topic.

Have you checked either PubMed (pubmed.gov), ClinicalTrials (clinicaltrials.gov), or PDtrials (pdtrials.org) to see if anything has been published on the topic or if anyone is studying this (and has registered their study)?

Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Thank you Pat & Robin ~ I need to check out the clinical trials.
Roxanne

My husband's first diagnosis in 2006 at age 64: Early Cortical Lewy Body Disease. He passed in Oct. 2013 at age 71. Autopsy indicated evidence for late-stage Alzheimer's only. NO Lewy Bodies were found in the hemisphere of his brain that was studied..?

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Robin - I checked all 3 sites and found nothing regarding treatment for LBD and/or Parkinsons. Guess we will hear if something comes of it.
Many Thanks,
Roxanne

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]