View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 My Dad has had a dramatic improvement 

Post My Dad has had a dramatic improvement
Hello Everyone.
I posted here over the past few years about my dad's condition and deterioration.

I wanted to share that my dad is doing so much better and now I can say that he no
longer seems to have Lewy at all. He went from being so quiet, often keeping his eyes
closed all the time, hallucinating seeing children and animals... etc... to now being normal
mentally.

His condition so followed all the literature and DVD that I received on Lewy Body that I was sure
he had it. I often also thought that he may have lyme disease but he always tested negative
for this.
Then on occasion he would have a good day and be normal... until they started all the
alzheimers and dementia meds. My dad is also a person who would get MUCH worse if given
pain killers or even cough medicine.
They kept giving him dementia and pain killer meds and then when he acted out (anger) or
had hallucinations they would then add more and more meds. I had to fight long and hard to
fix all this. The more they did to him... the more ammo they had to put in his records.
And this was a VERY good nursing home.

What finally happened was that he ended up with a foot sore. At the VA Home this progressed
into a bigger and bigger mess. Dad was put into a rolling bed instead of his wheelchair and that
even made the alzheimers type behavior worse (the doctors began him on many alzheimers
medications) I knew he did not have alzheimers and fought and fought to get him off them as
they kept him more sedated.

I got him off all those medications when he was admitted to the hospital for his foot surgery
and he was never put back on them.

ANYWAY, the sore on his foot became infected to the bone. This led to massive intraveneous and
oral anti-biotics for 10 weeks! First I noticed his nose stopped dripping clear fluid (which it had done
for 3 years and was a horrible problem for him), he also started having less 'acting out' during sleep.

after the anti-biotic regime was completed and dad
went back to the VA Home... he gradually just became himself again.

Mentally he is back to NORMAL. After 2+ years of Hell . It is amazing and no longer a horrible sad ordeal to visit him.
He has been normal mentally for about 10 months now.

Unfortunately his leg seems to be permanently twisted from the poor rehabilitation care during the
sore so he is in a wheelchair. But he can now participate in all conversations, handle his money,
his memory is fine, UNBELIEVABLE.

So although when he first began having weird episodes 4 years ago and no infection was found....
I believe his "lewy body" was really an infection.

If his foot had not become infected to the bone..... I believe he would be a vegetable by now.

I am happy to answer any questions if anyone thinks my dad's story can help them.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Post Re: My Dad has had a dramatic improvement
So glad to hear about your dad's recovery even if it took a nasty experience with his foot to get there! There is so much evidence that infections can cause at least temporary dementia and some even believe that chronic infections can precipitate permanent dementia. Thanks for sharing the uplifting story!

Alas, my husband has been on several bouts of both IV and oral antibiotics without regaining his mental and psychological health but infections always made his dementia worse. I had several older patients in whom confusion was the first or only symptom of a UTI.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:04 pm

Post Re: My Dad has had a dramatic improvement
GG -
Amazing story. Wonderful! So are you still thinking Lyme Disease? I thought a lot of Lyme tested negative.
Robin

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]