View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Robinul? 

Post Robinul?
Dad has been drooling for a few years but within the last 6 months it has increased A LOT! Last week the nurse from his AL home called and said Dad was experiencing a lot of mucus. It was so bad she was wanting clearance to order his Robinul to help with it. Of course I went to the "no-no" list for LBD patients and when I didn't find it I looked it up. It stated Robinul was prescribed for stomach ulcers not mucus. I called back and asked the nurse if she had the right med and she said that Robinul was also used to stop secretions. Has anybody else had this experience? I said yes but now Dad has declined rapidly this week and I just want to rule out that I made a bad decision to okay this med. Thanks....

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:17 pm

Post Re: Robinul?
Robinul is an anticholinergic [synthetic] so would probably be inadvisable. I would consult his neuro, if he has one. My husband's incessant drooling was helped by an increase in Sinemet.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:12 pm

TxLady130,

I replied to your question here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3315

Robinul (love that name!) is an anticholinergic. Since your dad isn't walking at the present time, it might be OK to try this medication. He needs to be observed very closely though as there are plenty of other bad side effects (besides impairing walking ability). My personal (layperson) view is that anticholinergic meds are fine to give near the end of life as the comfort they can bring is key.

Robin

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:00 am

TxLady, it sounds like you are super conscientous about monitoring your dad's care. You are doing your best. Please accept that "best" includes some trade-offs. No med is risk free, and even "safe" choices can be wrong for certain individuals. My point is you must not beat yourself up over decisions you made in good faith, even if later you wished you'd made a different decision. Act in love, based on what is known at the time, and move forward. It is all any of us can do. Fortunately, it is enough.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]