View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Treatment for Myoclonus? 

Post Treatment for Myoclonus?
Hi Everyone, I haven't posted in a long time but still peek in on you about once a week....My husband's Myoclonus has gotten very bad lately and the doctor started him on Zanaflex a few weeks ago. I really wasn't sure if it was helping, but today during his naptime I noticed his jerks were raising him off the bed, literally. Also making him call out in what I assume is pain (he can't say). When I checked his pill box I realized I had not filled it with the Zanaflex, meaning he missed both doses yesterday and this morning's (I pack them up for 4 weeks and got the new prescription since last packing). That leads me to believe that it had been helping and the lack of it lead to today's violent jerks.
Does anyone have experience with a muscle relaxant for Myoclonus?As a brief update: Ken has been on hospice for about 2 months now. He has extremely labored breathing with walking or drinking. He can barely walk. He has been on tippy-toes only for over a year and walks with a caregiver and gait belt, but that has evolved into freezing in place and tipping over, necessitating being lifted often. Swallowing issues returned recently and we are thickening his liquids and giving soft foods. He seems to know what he cannot eat and will clamp his lips together, but he'll always take yogurt for us. He seems to not know us at all anymore, but will still give us a big smile often and at times looks at me and says "beautiful". Other than that I hear 3 or 5 word sentences when he is asleep, but not much during waking hours. Sher

Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Post Re: Treatment for Myoclonus?
sher, i cant help you with your question.. as i have no idea..
but wanted to say how sorry i was that ken is feeling so much worse... my heart goes out to you both.. you have done such a tremendous job being their for him..... he is so lucky to have you by his side...

please take care,
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Post Re: Treatment for Myoclonus?
Sher,
Myoclonus is often treated with Klonopin (clonazepam).
Robin

PS. So wonderful your husband says "beautiful" when looking at you! What a gift!

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]