View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 MCI - Mild Cognitive Impairment - Early Dementia Treatments 

Post MCI - Mild Cognitive Impairment - Early Dementia Treatments
MCI - Mild Cognitive Impairment - Early Dementia Treatments

Here are a couple of treatments that I am using right now….

Mild Cognitive Impairment...when someone is still able to handle daily living tasks….
If you are searching for answers and help and early in this journey, these links may help you…
If you want to stay independent longer….
If you want your Loved One to stay independent longer…
If you want to work together early on and both retain more independence…and tools…to work together longer….
I know the frustration, the isolation, there isn't much help out there, and what is out there is hard to find…
It is getting better…the problem is recognized and there are plenty of people working on solutions…
Here are some that I have found...

Here are some treatment links:

Mayo Habit Program:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/psychiatry-rs ... ining.html

Living Well - A Guide for Persons with Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) & Early Dementia:
http://www.csh.umn.edu/prod/groups/ahc/ ... 363524.pdf

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:45 pm

Post Re: MCI - Mild Cognitive Impairment - Early Dementia Treatme
Thank you very much for sharing those references, Craig.

These approaches seem geared to those who are or want to be proactive. People in denial of their declining cognition probably aren't in a position to benefit. I am so glad that you are doing all you can to take care of yourself.

I am very interested in your reaction to HABIT. Do you think it was effective? Did your daughter feel she gained from it? Do you think that you have tools now that you didn't have a month ago?

Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:28 pm

Jeanne,

Yes, I have more tools. The toolbox is not that big…it just might harder for some carry…

Denial…..was something in short supply at Habit….why would anyone be there that was in Denial?

there was some denial there….but, not much…to be proactive…denial must be out of the way…

There would be some room for a patient or caregiver to have some denial and start the program….the program does have programming in it to help with that….

But….there would have to be enough acceptance to sign up and show up…and then to participate….(I said all that…for those who it might help…)

the purpose of the program….to keep oneself independent longer….or be able to work with you L/O on a more knowledgeable level to keep them home longer….and I am sure more reasons than I can fathom…after all….I am me, with my limitations….

I think it was well worth my time and the possessions that I had to sell to be able to afford to go to this major undertaking….
getting myself and my daughter to MN for over two weeks….

I don't regret selling the tools that worked all of my adult life to accumulate….to finance this experience….
Did I say that I think this is a worthwhile thing?

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:25 pm

craig thank you so much for sharing some of the information that you learned at the mayo clinic.. i printed out the book and its been a way to start a conversation with hubby...he is in denial and hes not talker.. but we were able to talk a bit this morning, using your booklet and your positive thoughts... i left the booklet close by his comfy chair and hopefully he will pick it up often and reread.. and maybe we can get some more conversations going...

thank you for sharing and im so glad you and your daughter got so much out of this...

cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 1-14,released to memory care..

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:14 pm

Cindi,

thanks for the kind words…

I believe most of what are in those two links will be helpful for me….wish I had someone sitting next to me right now…
make that a double wish….that someone would also want to work with those tools….together….
while there is still time for me…

I am declining.

Nothing dramatic.

But.

No, Buts….I am declining. It is. How could it be otherwise?

Habit was no BS place. Time is not something to mess with…Time is something to USE….NOW….wisely….finally some tools, with instructions….

Cindi….may I suggest...start using the some of the tools yourself….make them a part of your life….sneak one in every now and then…
I want to say more things right now….but, don't just quite know how….

I will come back to this….

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:48 pm

thank you craig...
no rush to say more.. when ever you are ready... appreciate you sharing, .. please know we are here for you, as well..

wishing you a wonderful thanksgiving...
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 1-14,released to memory care..

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:59 am

Craig, how I wish I'd had the benefit of your insights when my husband was in the earlier stages. Hope you have a pleasant Thanksgiving Day. God bless!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Pat,

I am blessed…to know the Beast…

how many have fought something they knew was there…
so hard by trying to meet it head on…

which can only bring one down to their knees…
or as in my case…I was brought...many times down to the floor…
or down in the grass…
or to the hospital…

and only hasten the ultimal defeat…
and make everyone angry…

now…instead…
never meet the Beast head on…
never let the Beast have control anymore…(sounds good, doesn't it)
at least try to stay in control…and use energy and abilities to do what is possible, in the best way…
instead of using all of that energy in waste….just running into a brick wall….over and over…

it pains me how much time I have lost in ignorance of what I was fighting…
it pains me more to think of those who never knew what they were fighting…
and those that are out there fighting right now…being told all the wrong things…
if they are being told anything….maybe that they are just depressed….

I spent yesterday…Thanksgiving... by myself…my wife was a few miles away….in denial…still…
She wants me to be normal…she wants me to face the Beast head on…
She wants me to be a Man….
I will have to be putty…silly putty…and alone...
But, I will survive longer…

yes….I get it now….its not just the patient who suffers…..Jeanne…I get it….

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:13 am

Hello all,
Thank you Craig for the links.....I am having a slow recovery from my surgery but it was still good that I had it done.....
I am depending more and more on my husband and am so grateful for him and for all of you.....like Craig said- you all are my heroes...
My meds are helping me a lot.....I need more routine like the theme of this thread but I find it hard with the fluctuations and irregular sleep.....but overall things are not to bad....I feel a slow decline happening but maybe it's the surgery effects too...I did avoid GA thankfully......still have to have my tooth out later this month....

I think of you all often and wish you all the best.....

Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:37 am

Glad to hear you are doing well and avoided general anesthetic.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:44 am

Hi Tonya so good to hear from you. Think of you often and hope you stay well. I think I may have to go your route and have surgery also, but it is not urgent just yet so I am trying to hold off for another while.
Please take care of yourself.
Ger xxx

Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:42 pm

Thank you Pat!

Ger, I think of you often too and keep you in my prayers....I know it's not a good time for you to do the surgery, but I can definitely say I wish I had done it years ago.....I hope you can take care of yourself too.....

Best to all,
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:38 pm

Tonya,

Glad you are back!

Get all healed up and get some new Habits!

Hope you feel better soon.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I missed you all! :P

Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:14 pm

Glad you are through the surgery and back on here. I wondered where you were! Good to hear from you. Lynn

Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next