View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 To treat or not--to know or not 

Post To treat or not--to know or not
Hello friends,
My Tom has had a downturn. After being treated for a suspected UTI, I again found drops of blood in his depends. His GP (whom I really like and trust) initially thought about an ultrasound to check the bladder and prostate. However, after thought and discussion about what treatment would entail if we did find cancer, etc. he said he would not recommend any treatment (which would probably be painful and might further decrease his quality of life) therefore he didn't see the need to confirm or deny a diagnosis. But, of course, it's my decision. My question is two-fold. Tom is only 63 and while I do believe in a somewhat slow medicine approach, I might be willing to undertake a procedure if he could recover and have a decent quality of life (he is still fairly mobile and strong) for an EXTENDED period of time. I know many of your LOs have had major surgeries and done well--did age make any difference in your decisions?
Secondly, would knowing Tom's complete diagnosis make any difference in how we would treat him for quality of life issues? Thanks, KMP

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:34 am

Post Re: To treat or not--to know or not
I would not have the tests done for Coy. But he is 85, not 63! What a hard choice.

I don't know what to advise you, but I do want to send hugs to you as you struggle with this tough challenge. Whatever you decide will be "right."

Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:15 am

I think I would get the tests done as they are not painful tests. Then you'll have more information as to whether it's cancer or something else.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:52 pm

My husband was only 72, too young but not as young as yours. When he got the pneumonia that I decided not to treat, he had already lost most quality of life even had he returned to baseline which I thought he would not. I would think that quality of life now and projected would be more a factor than age.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:03 pm

Frank is 71, has no quality of life, so I know what I'd do for us, but 63 is young and you're the only one who can judge his quality of life. I might agree with Robin, knowing what is causing the problem might make it easier for you to weight the pros and cons and the "unknow". Good luck.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:47 pm

How hard for you to have to make a decision like this…

But, I feel….as someone who will one day find himself in your husbands position….

that you….are concerned that you make the right decision…

I am thinking that the right decision….

Is the one you will make….

Please make one….

don't let Lewy control your lives….you and your husband control your lives….

I feel good you are there asking questions and making decisions….thank you

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Kathy, maybe to put your mind at rest a little. My 85 year old Dad has had several UTI's and has almost constant blood in his catheter bag. His prostate is grossly enlarged, but there is no cancer there. Dad gets a UTI almost every other week. At first, we were very concerned about the blood being there almost constantly (some days worse than others), but, though he is a little anemic, the blood in the urine does not seem to be causing him any major concern. Try not to worry - wait until the test results come back if that is what you decide to do. Then set out the plan of action. I hope Tom's situation turns out to be similar to Dads. Keep us updated
Ger x

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:17 pm

really tough decision.. and i agree with craig, what ever you choose will be the right one...

thinking of you both~~~

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:48 pm

Kathy, you both are in my prayers.
Is there an obligation to move forward with treatment if you do the tests? Will tests provide enough new information to help you and the GP make future wiser decisions that could be less painful and invasive than surgery?
If you feel comfortable with the answers to those 2 questions, the tests sound reasonable.
You can do this. One step at a time. We are all behind you and pulling for you.
Hug to you,
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Thank you all for your insightful replies. I have decided to have the ultrasound, which may or may not reveal anything, but certainly can't do any harm. Hopefully, it will help with other choices. I'll post again as things progress. Also, thank you for the good wishes.
Kathy

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]