View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Fentanyl good or bad??? 

Post Fentanyl good or bad???
we started JAckie on a pain patch Fentanyl 25mcgTransdermal system duragesic patch 1 patch is good ofr 72 hours. today is the third day and she is out of it drugged up for lack of a better word. Is this on the bad list I did not see it there but I want to make sure. I know I will be lowering the dose as of today it it is ok to use on her.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:47 pm

All opiate pain meds have cognitive side effects; fentanyl is pretty "clean", but is a very powerful drug, so it's possible to get a substantial effect from the relatively small amount the patches deliver.

If she's on the smallest patch, ask the doctor about how long to put it on and take it off. Don't cut Duragesic-brand patches - they have goo in them that runs out. Other fentanyl patches can be cut down to give a smaller dose.

Know that she's probably getting the most-effective pain relief she has ever had. This stuff works.

I don't believe it has any direct action on the DLB process - I think any "worsening" is just a result of the normal drug side effects of euphoria and trouble thinking clearly.

E

Cal is not the real name of a real 84 year old with DLB. I don't speak for LBDA, nor do I have clever initials behind my name, so information is provided without warranty. Caveat everybody. I blog at http://PragmaticCaregiver.blogspot.com

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:03 pm
Profile WWW

thanks for the information. this was very help ful.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]