View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Best antibiotic for a UTI 

Post Best antibiotic for a UTI
I have read that some antibiotics are problematic for someone with LBD that has a UTI. Does anyone know which ones to avoid?
Thank you,
Roxanne

My husband's first diagnosis in 2006 at age 64: Early Cortical Lewy Body Disease. He passed in Oct. 2013 at age 71. Autopsy indicated evidence for late-stage Alzheimer's only. NO Lewy Bodies were found in the hemisphere of his brain that was studied..?

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Post Re: Best antibiotic for a UTI
There's no list of which antibiotics are good/bad for those with LBD. It's a highly individual thing.

If a culture is done of the bug that's causing the UTI, then the MD can identify which antibiotics are best to kill that particular bug. As with any new medication, you should monitor closely for any side effects.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Thank you Robin. I knew this time was coming. He is going downhill very quickly. The doctor rx'd Bactrim on Monday when I took in the urine sample. Have an appt with this doctor on Thursday. We have been back home not quite 3 months, and he has had one bout of constipation, one of diarrhea and two major crying spells. He was able to manage the urinary incontinence but no longer. The neuro wanted him to try Sinemet - again. I gave him one half tab, and it seemed to undo him. And the imodium for the diarrhea also seemed to cause more confusion. The current "UTI" appears to be causing even greater confusion. I am beginning to think he does not recognize me, at times. I was gone yesterday for an hour. When I got home, he had urinated on the garage floor... I am already at wits end but know it is going to get worse.
Roxanne

My husband's first diagnosis in 2006 at age 64: Early Cortical Lewy Body Disease. He passed in Oct. 2013 at age 71. Autopsy indicated evidence for late-stage Alzheimer's only. NO Lewy Bodies were found in the hemisphere of his brain that was studied..?

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:13 am

You might consider facility placement for a short time until the situation calms down.

Unfortunately any sort of infection really throws people with neurodegenerative disorders for a loop.

The culture usually takes several days to perform. Most MDs start someone on one antibiotic and then hope that it's on the list of antibiotics that will kill the bug.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:42 am

Thank you again Robin for your thoughts and expertise. Talked with the doctor today. Turns out, it was NOT a UTI, but he does have a slight fever. Very difficult moving around in the doctor's office to do EKG and chest xray, but we made it home in one piece. Hospice is supposed to call us.
Do take care,
Roxanne

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]