View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Medication Suggestions Needed 

Post Medication Suggestions Needed
Looking for some suggestions to help my Father-In-Law (LBD) He is 74 yrs old and has been using Aricept for 2-1/2 yrs. That has worked very well, but now the benefits are wearing off. He gets very restless, some confusion, & some hallucinations. He tried Namenda & that didn't work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. His Dr. is now suggesting we try 2.5 milligrams of zyprexa for some comfort. Has anyone had any experience with this? The warning label for this says do not give to anyone with Dementia.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:48 pm

Post need suggestions.....
Hi Debra,
Sorry to hear the benefits of Aricept are waning. This D$#@%%!* disease is soooo individualized. Some have seen benefits from switching to another dementia drug such as Exelon or ....the one I can't spell yet (begins with an R :lol: ).

OK, Zyprexa.......some use it sucessfully. We didn't. My husband was still diagnosed with Alzheimers when we tried it. 4 days and 2 grand mal seizures later, his reaction confirmed that he didn't have alzheimers....it was LBD - due to the reaction he had to zyprexa (which cost us about $10.00 a pill!).

Many use seroquel sucessfully...... all antipsychotics need to be used cautiously....start "low" and go "slow".

Good luck and keep us posted,
Sue & Harry in WV

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:39 pm

How is father in law doing?
My father is experiencing the same. He was diagnosed with LBD after a TERRIBLE round with ZYPREXA & Sinemet. I guess we were lucky that this was done in the hospital because I could not have handled him at home. One or both only made him a lot worse. Proceed with extreme caution. My father has been taking exelon and Namenda but benefits seem to be dwindling after only a couple of months.
Linda

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:05 am

So what are ok drugs to try for LBD? My grandmother has not had any success with any of the anti-psych drugs like seroquel, zyprexa, ativan, risperdal, haldol, depakote, etc. She is much better off the drugs than on but the nursing home wants to give her something because she gets agitated. I dont feel like we have a very good doctor but dont have many other resources where we live. Any RX suggestions that have worked for LDB? She is already on Razadyne (used to be called Reminyl).

Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:55 pm
In my opinion and my opinon only less is always better, I think your best line of defense is to educate the NH about LBD. :)

Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:07 pm

My Dad has made a temporary improvement with Namenda. I know it can't last forever but he was going off in to what I call "la-la land" every so often and when they started the Namenda that all stopped and he is doing much better - mentally, not physically. It's nice to be able to talk to him though and see him smile again.

Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:21 pm
I am glad this has worked out for you and many times it does with certain people, the Problem with LBD they have found no consistant drug that works for all, every drug is trial and era and thats the scary part, I used Seroquel and it helped us earlier we tried Risperdol and it nearly did my Husband in but I believe because I was aware of the med situation with LBD it alerted me quicker that there was a problem and I was able to get Jim off it at the first sign of trouble, I always have to go back to your best defense in LBD is to educate your self as much as one can. :)

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]