View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Trazodone 

Post Trazodone
Does any one here have any experience with the sleeping aid Trazodone? It is supposed to be a combination sleeping aid / anti-depressant. The psychiatrist started Mom on it a week ago, and I am seeing a significant increase in the amount of confusion she has, specifically about time and day orientation. I think I should discontinue the Trazadone, but don't know what to do about her sleeping at night.
Thanks,
Jennifer

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:43 am

Lots of doctors like trazodone for sleep, because of the dual effect and because it's not a controlled substance that invites DEA scrutiny in the US. That said, it's kinda known to cause some next-day grogginess/mental slowing. I've never been a big fan of sleep drugs that have a really long half-life, or that have active metabolites (compounds formed by the drug as it's transformed for excretion that have effects of their own).

If your mom has a history of migraine, trazodone is especially good at making people feel headachey after, due to a particular metabolite.

The preferred agent for sleep in LBD seems to be Klonopin (clonazepam). There's information on its use in LBD patients around page 18 of the document found at:

http://www.lewybodydementia.org/Boevelink.php

I think it's worth discussing with her doctor; there's no sense in sleeping well if it doesn't leave you refreshed and perky the next day.

Eric

Cal is not the real name of a real 84 year old with DLB. I don't speak for LBDA, nor do I have clever initials behind my name, so information is provided without warranty. Caveat everybody. I blog at http://PragmaticCaregiver.blogspot.com

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Trazodone
jennifer brock wrote:
Does any one here have any experience with the sleeping aid Trazodone? It is supposed to be a combination sleeping aid / anti-depressant. The psychiatrist started Mom on it a week ago, and I am seeing a significant increase in the amount of confusion she has, specifically about time and day orientation. I think I should discontinue the Trazadone, but don't know what to do about her sleeping at night.
Thanks,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
We used Trazadone with no problems that I am aware of I did look it up on the LBDA web site info that I have and it is a first choice drug under sleep disorder meds, Good Luck, it might be she needs a little time to adjust to it....... :)
Could it be given at a lower dose until she adjusts :?:

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]