View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 A question from Roxanne 

Post A question from Roxanne
Hi All,
I know we kinda of wrapped up that discussion, but Roxanne had posted a question at the end of my previous post regarding tooth extraction and I was wondering if any one can give her suggestions...Thanks very much!
Best,
Tonya

___
From Roxanne:

My husband recently broke a wisdom tooth while at a board and care home. (Apparently he bit down on a "pebble" in some soup). At the time we didn't realize the tooth was broken and perhaps it may just have been cracked. Now that it has broken, his regular dentist says it needs to come out, but I am afraid of a further decline. (The reason for the board and care began with constipation)... He is back home now and doing okay... But I am so afraid he will wind up in the hospital again over this procedure. I know not removing it might cause problems but am so fearful of the complications. Any suggestions? We are also going for yet another opinion as his diagnosis may not be LBD...
Thank you,
Roxanne

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Post Re: A question from Roxanne
Roxanne,
Many people have had a tooth extraction done with LBD and done fine with versed, taking a chance of infection not having it done can cause some real problems too, Speak to the neuro about your concerns and perhaps he can help ease your fears !

Good Luck !

Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:30 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you Tonya and Irene.
Roxanne

My husband's first diagnosis in 2006 at age 64: Early Cortical Lewy Body Disease. He passed in Oct. 2013 at age 71. Autopsy indicated evidence for late-stage Alzheimer's only. NO Lewy Bodies were found in the hemisphere of his brain that was studied..?

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Roxanne:

The reason I chose to have my husband's teeth extracted (went very well) was to prevent future tooth pain, the possibility of not just local infection but systemic, and making it easier to clean the adjacent teeth. Dental hygiene is a big problem.

Gail

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:46 pm

Thank you Gail. Yes, that makes perfect sense. And you are right: dental hygiene is a big issue. Looking forward to the cleaning that is supposed to take place before the extraction consultation - there is not enough Listerine in this world... BTW, we saw a new movement disorder neurologist and he confirmed the LBD diagnosis... I was hoping he might give us a magic bullet...
Thanks & Take Care,
Roxanne

My husband's first diagnosis in 2006 at age 64: Early Cortical Lewy Body Disease. He passed in Oct. 2013 at age 71. Autopsy indicated evidence for late-stage Alzheimer's only. NO Lewy Bodies were found in the hemisphere of his brain that was studied..?

Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Contact the local Alzheimer's Association chapter (alz.org) and ask for dentists they recommend for those with dementia. Many of the dentists are "mobile dentists" and will go to your home -- even with a portable xray machine! It's not terribly expensive either. I'd get a second opinion from one of them.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Good idea Robin. A second opinion is always helpful. Our first consultation is tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Thanks so much,
Roxanne

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:10 am

Post Re: A question from Roxanne re: tooth extraction
The wisdom tooth came out yesterday in about 5 minutes with a local of lidocaine! No problems so far, thank goodness!

Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:19 pm

I'm so glad to hear that. Thank you for the followup.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:30 pm

Glad it turned out OK and wasn't a big issue !

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:18 pm
Profile WWW

Good news!

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:28 pm

My sister who has LBD, her teeth are also being extracted (2 at a time) and her dentist uses a local or some dentists use gas! Hope this helps.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]