View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Forgot to give LBD husband his medicine last night 

Post Forgot to give LBD husband his medicine last night
Forgot to give medicine..Aricept and Namenda last night.

I was horrified to find this morning that I had not given my husband (age 85.. LBD for 1 1/2 yrs) his medicine last night .....I gave him his usual Namenda about 8 AM and decided not to say anything to him as it would worry him, maybe.....He is doing so well and so far today, he seems like he was as yesterday. I decided to wait to give him his aricept and 2nd namenda about 7 tonight. He may be more tired than usual, but he takes 2-3 naps a day usually. I hate that I forgot....I have worked out another 'fail-safe' method..putting a note on my pill bottle to remind me. Has this happened to anyother caregiver?

Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Post Re: Forgot to give LBD husband his medicine last night
Of course. Lots of times. Never saw any particular difference, either.

Gail

Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:04 pm

Lorraine, As Gail said, we have also forgotten, but on many occasions Frank has refused to take his meds. As for seeing any problems, if he seems worse I question if I gave his meds, most of the time I had. Don't beat yourself up, Frank's Dr said if he refuses his meds, there's not much you can do except to try with the next scheduled dose.

Take Care,
Gerry

Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:42 pm

You might consider getting a pill container that has an in-built alarm, or setting an alarm on your cell phone, or paying a service such as Lifeline to call and remind you.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:04 pm

Lorraine, I'm much better at getting Coy's meds to him on time than I am in taking my own. Nevertheless, this week one day has his major dose of the day full of pills. The schedule that day was not routine and I just plain forgot, and didn't notice it until it was too late to make them up. I don't like when that happens, but it is very seldom and I think we just have to live with it.

If this is the first time this has happened to you in over a year, take two gold stars out of petty cash!

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks for all the encouragement. We have been able to lead a quiet and fairly normal life for two people in the 80's. I think he was diagnosed and started on Aricept and Namenda very quickly..right after his first hallucination. The main problem is his memory loss, which is coming more of a worry to him and being wobby.

When Aricept became generic, he was put on the generic. The next time we saw his doctor, he suggested that we go back to the original Aricept, saying it was much better than the generic. Has this happened to anyone else?

He seemed brighter tonight after I gave him his medicine...maybe my imagination, but it was a good lesson for me..

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:19 pm

I haven't heard this before about Aricept but I hear it all the time about Sinemet. The generics are supposed to be "bio-equivalent" (I think that's the right term) to the brand name...and that means 85% to 115% of the medication is delivered. So, there's a big range for generics, which is why some MDs prefer the brand name for some meds.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]