View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Tooth extraction and possible implant restoration 

Post Tooth extraction and possible implant restoration
Hi all,

Just found out yesterday I have a tooth with a fracture way up in the root.....I searched the anesthesia threads but some of the links to old threads don't work anymore....Put a call in Neuro and her nurse said she will call all the shots on this tooth thing - boy I am grateful...she will consult with the oral surgeon to give a yay or nay even.....but still.....

Can anyone share their experiences with dental work and Lewy??

Thanks!!!

Best wishes,

Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Post Re: Tooth extraction and possible implant restoration
My husband has done fine with a local, of course [novocaine] for dental work. For his colonoscopies and a suprapubic catheter placement he tolerated Versed well.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Thank you Pat...that is reassuring - did he have things as invasive as extraction and implants? with long healing times?

PS my problem a lot of the time is that things like versed do absolutely nothing to me - I was completely alert and awake during a finger surgery in 2008...chatting with the doc - (don't recommend this as the surgery was unsuccesful) but he swore I wouldn't remember anything afterwards but in recovery I recounted our conversations in front of my husband to him and he was pretty shocked....I don't sedate well.....so I am prepared to be aware of the whole tooth procedure no matter what they try to give me....but at least the novacaine or newer numbing agents do work and I do not feel pain - thankfully....but I am not sure about an extraction....

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:23 pm

No, the only dental procedures he's had lately have been deep cleaning.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks again Pat - I appreciate your reply!

Best wishes,

Tonya

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:47 pm

You might do a search of this forum on the topic of anesthetics. I know the subject has been discussed. Good luck!

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks Pat,

I did try that before posting this - some of the links to old threads didn't work anymore since the new website - also my somewhat muddied mind had trouble sorting it out - so I ask you all to bear with me in asking this question straight out ...I did find some useful things in the search nevertheless.....

Thanks again for your kind replies!

Best,

Tonya

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Tonya:

My husband had 2 upper molars extracted a month ago. They used anaesthesia for some reason I have forgotten. But he did fine and was eating the next day, with only one pain pill needed that night. There were no implants or restoration work.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:13 am

Thanks so much Gail...I am pretty scared about all this...I appreciate your reply....

Best wishes,

Tonya

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:29 am

There are dentists who specialize in dealing with those with dementia. Our local Alzheimer's Association refers people to two different dental outfits. They both offer a range of anesthesia options, including conscious sedation (with something like Versed, which is supposed to be the preferred anesthesia in LBD).

One family member in the local support group did fine with a tooth extraction...one did not do well at all.

If it's something you have to do, then you have to do it. Hopefully with everyone being smart about things (including you to get your neurologist involved), all will go well!

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:33 am

Tonya - the implant process is much simpler and faster than it used to be, so if you can get the anesthesia issue solved, it shouldn't be a huge deal to go through.
I hate going to the dentist and when I had implants done about 20 years ago it was a long, drawn out process. I took 1 valium before each procedure, and that completely knocked me out for 8 hr. each time. That's one time I was glad I am so sensitive to meds. LOL I'd have to be carried to the car and I'd sleep all day!
Hope it goes well for you. Lynn

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:27 am

Thanks Lynn,

If only I could sleep with such procedures...yes I think they have improved them a lot....My neuro is going to say exactly which anesthesia, anti-biotic, pain med, etc...as her nurse put it "she will be calling all the shots"....That is a relief that she cares enough to be so involved in my welfare.....also it takes all the research and decision off me, mostly....

Robin, can you be more specific about the person your group "who didn't do well".....in what way didn't they do well and did the person have LBD? I'm sorry to hear this for this person...

Thank you!

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:27 pm

The person who didn't do well had several possible diagnoses -- PSP, LBD, FTD. (There was no brain autopsy so we don't know the confirmed diagnosis.) The person died within a week of the tooth extraction. She was in severe pain. She was in her late 60s.

Hopefully your young age means that things will go better for you.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:19 pm

I have had multiple complicated extractions , e.g., wisdom teeth and a root canal gone bad which snapped and had to be removed in pieces. In every instance I chose to go with just novocaine and it was fine. Yes, the sound was a little unnerving but there was no pain and the after effects were minimal--just numbness for an hour or two. It seems to me that, if you can handle this, it might be a better option than going for the total sedation, which might be risky.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:21 pm

Robin,
Thanks for the further info - I am very sorry for this lady - so young too......

Pat,
thanks for your reassurance...apparently the crack was there last october but not really visible until after I had a root canal on the tooth then - It sounds like I was lucky it didn't crack during the root canal as the fracture now appears clearly on x-ray and is all the way across the root of the tooth....ugh...hate teeth stuff anyway!

I can probably go without anesthesia since it doesn't do much anyway - I had versed so many times and it never works - not in the last 11 yrs (i.e. since I've been ill)...I remember everything from every procedure where I had versed from colonscopy, to finger surgery, to heart catheterization - every painful detail...I am not sensitive to any sedating medicines apparently, but who knows if my brain is! So they can forego the valium, which I laugh at since it does nothing to me, and probably the versed or whatever else they plan on - just hope I don't freak out and jump out of the chair....

Fortunately had wisdom teeth done before becoming ill - that was no picnic either - I don't remember that one fortunately (drugs still worked then) but did get post-op infections 2 weeks later....and was young and healthy then.....only 22 yrs old!

Thanks everyone for your input...I am really stressed and scared about this - I have regular nightmares about my teeth falling out anyway and serious dentist anxiety so I am quite worried about it all and kinda can't believe this is happening now....but we don't get to pick what happens I guess.....and it's not today and not tomorrow and not even next week, so the thing to do is enjoy today! One day at a time right??

Best wishes all,

Tonya

Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next