View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Namenda - transient confusion/dizziness/fatigue? 

Post Namenda - transient confusion/dizziness/fatigue?
Hi All,

Sorry to hammer out the Namenda issue again - I have read the other threads - this is more a question of whether or not these side effects are transient (as it says for confusion in the Namenda starter pack) and how long is "transient?" I felt a great improvement when I first started on it at doses of 2.5-5 mg/day....Now I am up to 10 mg/day and I feel so incredibily fatigued (and it wasn't good to start with), more confused and defninitely dizzier....I have the complicating factor of hormonal changes to consider as well so I don't want to write off this med if it's a cycle thing....I can't find any literature on dementia and perimenopause, but I guess there just aren't that many early onset ppl who are facing perimenopause to study?? The mood swings are awful with the pms and some other time too.... I will ask my doc sept 8 at my next appt. about the latter....

When she dx me in February - after declaring those words that are burned into my brain, "you have lewy body dementia - early onset, and early onset parkinson's".....She said, "but there is a treatment and that is Namenda!" So we started aricept first, and I waited anxiously for the "treatment" specifically for LBD (I think she meant that Namenda had been shown to be more effective for LBD than for AD - but I will ask her about that too) and now I am wondering if I can tolerate "the treatment" during my "good days".....I feel like each day is so precious right now while I can move and do things and care for myself that I don't want to waste them in bed with even more fatigue than I had to start with.....I wonder if a dose as low as 2.5 mg has any benefit to slowing the progression - it sure helped my mind work faster, sharper, and my mood was brighter...but it was a different part of my cycle too...my cognitiion has always been tied to the cycle to some extent - I can remember from when I was in school....

Well, if any of you can tell me your experience with the titration upwards with Namenda and how transient some of these effects could be I would be most grateful!

Sorry for all the typos - too tired to fix them all....

Thanks to you all,

Best wishes,

Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:50 pm

Post Re: Namenda - transient confusion/dizziness/fatigue?
Hi Tonya
I noticed when trying to increase LO from Namenda from once a day to twice a day he seemed more agitated and restless. (He was just fine on one a day but the second dose just caused problems) Robin recommended backing up to what had previously worked for him, which was one dose a day. By increasing that second daily dose slower, that is, 1/2 pill for a while longer, eventually he was able to tolerate both doses, and I am pleased to say that he is doing well now and I hope and pray he remains at the level of cognition that he is now at. He is also on Aricept and we were able to discontinue the Seroquel XR. He has been off the Seroquel for three months and so far no hallucinations.
Mary

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:36 pm

thanks so much Mary! I did call my neuro...i've been going up slower than prescribed too....the nurse said these symptos were indeed transient - so between your post ad the nurse I will continue because despite it all, my husband says he can tell its helping me....thanks again!

best wishes,
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Good for you, Mary! Sounds like your husband is getting great care and doing well!

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:35 am

Robin, I give so much thanks to you and others on this forum.
I will continute to read and learn and anything else I can do for this dear sweet man.
Mary

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]