View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 settled period 

Post settled period
Hi all
Mum is having quite a good spell just now. Cognitivley good, coherent, alert, though speech alittle disjointed. Physically not so good. Very stiff, shuffled walking motions with difficultly co-ordinating steps when mobolising. Facical expression almost non exsistant, Mask like, unless we ask,
"smile Mum", which is usually followed by an unsmiling eyed mouth curl. Almost as though Mum responds without feeling. Is this the case? Does she not feel? Or is it that she does but cannot express her feelings? Mum used to be very demonstrative with her feelings, lots of hugs and kisses, very touchy feely. I so miss my mum....

Tanya

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:53 pm

The so-called "flat affect" can be a purely physical symptom of the disease - facial expression is complicated and relies on fine motor control in a number of areas. It's hard, because as humans we're generally pretty good at reading the emotional content of faces, and it's painful to see a loved one with no expression.

Eric

Cal is not the real name of a real 84 year old with DLB. I don't speak for LBDA, nor do I have clever initials behind my name, so information is provided without warranty. Caveat everybody. I blog at http://PragmaticCaregiver.blogspot.com

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: settled period
Tanya wrote:
Hi all
Mum is having quite a good spell just now. Cognitivley good, coherent, alert, though speech alittle disjointed. Physically not so good. Very stiff, shuffled walking motions with difficultly co-ordinating steps when mobolising. Facical expression almost non exsistant, Mask like, unless we ask,
"smile Mum", which is usually followed by an unsmiling eyed mouth curl. Almost as though Mum responds without feeling. Is this the case? Does she not feel? Or is it that she does but cannot express her feelings? Mum used to be very demonstrative with her feelings, lots of hugs and kisses, very touchy feely. I so miss my mum....

Tanya

Hi Tanya,
This is one of the hardest aspects of this illness, the masked face, I also believe it is the Parkinson's Like features, Don't believe for a minute that she doesn't have feelings they are there she just can't express herself. I know and understand how you miss your Mum so much , she is still there just a little different. A lot of things change! :(

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]