View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Does aroma therapy work if you can't smell? 

Post Does aroma therapy work if you can't smell?
In an article by Dr Ott, sited by Irene in another post today, he suggests that non-drug therapies be tried first for LBD, including music therapy and aroma therapy. Don't most LBDers lose their sense of smell? Do you have to be able to smell for aroma therapy to work, or does just inhaling the molecules trigger something? Inquiring minds want to know. :P

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Post Re: Does aroma therapy work if you can't smell?
I have never heard anything about Aroma Therapy helping one way or another , now I will say that music therapy was a good thing for us as the TV became a problem and I really was sure that the music really calmed many of the fears for my husband.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:39 pm
Profile WWW

Jeanne,

I don't know if this fits for everyone with LBD, but my sense of smell fluctuates a lot (as does my vision and hearing) - some days I can't smell much at all (which isn't all bad lol) and some days I smell things seemingly normally or maybe too strongly....So I am still using some "relaxing moments" glade plug in air fresheners in the house...I don't smell them everyday - but when I do, I find it very pleasant.....don't know if that helps....

Last fall however, I went through a longer period of not smelling anything...I thought it was gone for good - but maybe it was coincidence, I'm not sure, but I had a root canal done in November and it seemed like after that I starting getting my smell back...it was a tooth near the sinuses so who knows...it was not abscessed, but it needed it....Not sure if it was just Lewy fluctuation or the tooth had something to do with it - I actually suspect fluctuation......Fluctuation of nearly everything seems to be the hallmark of Lewy for me.....

Best wishes,
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:05 am

Tonya,
I do think the sense of smell fluctuates for others with alpha-synuclein disorders. Another example I heard last week is that someone with Parkinson's Disease couldn't smell but after DBS (deep brain stimulation) surgery his sense of smell returned for several years.
Robin

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:18 pm

I used to have an intense sense of smell….

animals….perfumes….all kinds of things that didn't bother others…..

I have noticed that lately….it is the opposite….others ask me if I smell something disgusting….but….I smell nothing….

food doesn't taste as good either….

don't hear as well….

fingers don't feel as well…

don't see as well….unless seeing double is better...

but, then some things work better than they did before….aggravation, pain, dreams…

back to your original question….interesting concept….

if I don't think I am smelling it…..would I get the affect……

seems possible…..if the particulates cause something to happen that is not connected to the actual 'smell' it seems possible….

or….am I still smelling it….and my brain is losing the signal….so the same affect might happen….

I guess it would depend on 'where' in the signal path….the affect would take place and where it is being interrupted…

is it my decreasing 'smelling' that is affecting my decreased sense of 'taste' right now….or is it something else?

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]