View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Dad's huge decline 

Post Re: Dad's huge decline
Ger,
Thanks for sharing your update...I am so sorry for all the stress, pain, sorrow, and upheavals you are going through.....I will be thinking of you and keeping you all in my prayers......
Best wishes,

Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Dear Ger,
Holding you and your family in the Light, as the Friends say.
And hoping that you and your doctors will be able to focus, first and most, on what is troubling and paining your dad - you sound so attuned to his needs - it seems that often, the mere act of easing suffering works better than any aggressive medical intervention. Your dad seems like a real example of both personal strength and response to caring therapy. He's lucky to have such a great daughter!
Laurel

Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:18 pm

Ger,
Your father's will to live is amazing. He's on quite a rollercoaster ride.
Robin

Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:28 pm

robin wrote:
Ger,
He's on quite a rollercoaster ride.
Robin

As are we Robin! We are bringing Dad 'home' from hospital tomorrow. We are moving him to a local nursing home. It is only 1/2 mile away from his own house. (It may as well be half way around the world though, as neither himself nor my Mom are mobile enough to visit one another). It is going to be a very difficult day, as we have to pass by his own front door to get to the facility. We have told him this is only a temporary move to make the transition easier for him and are hoping he will settle down there. He was still extremely upset, and I can't help feeling that I have let him down. I know in my heart of hearts that I have done all I can for him, and he needs professional care 24/7 now, and I need to think of my own husband and children. There are only 21 residents in all, and it seems lovely, staff are very chatty and seem to love their job. I hope they do - I have very high standards when it comes to Dad's care, and I will be keeping a very close eye on them.
It has its advantages also, as his friends will be able to call often, and I will have less running around to do when he is so close to Mom. I still have a tiny little niggling feeling that maybe I could have tried for a little longer to look after him, but thats my heart talking, and my head (and my body!) knows I could no longer cope.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:39 pm

Ger,
Glad you see the distinction between your head and heart talking. You have done your absolute best for your dear father. It sounds like you've selected a great care facility.
Robin

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:49 pm

I hope your experience echoes mine--that he will be soooo much better off there than at home. Of course, that will depend on his adjustment, which was not a problem with Charlie. Visiting him there was a joy.
Gail

Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:32 pm

Gail, hope you are doing OK. You are in my prayers.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Ger,
I will be hoping that your Dad will be safer and comfortable there....I know it must be very hard but I hope it might turn out to be very positive like Gail's experience with her facility....Take care Ger.....
And Gail I am thinking of you too!! Take care of yourself!

Best wishes,
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7