View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Dad's huge decline 

Post Dad's huge decline
Hi all,
I haven't posted in a while. Since the boards went down. Well, Dad has had a massive decline in those few weeks. It began just after my foot surgery. It has been a gradual decline, with his walk failing completely, then his appetite going, and now, his whole body is shutting down. I went to France on a previously booked holiday on 16th June, totally uncomfortable because I knew Dad was very weak, but I had to think of my husband and children, so I went. We were supposed to stay for 2 weeks, but after 6 days the family rang and told me to come home - that Dad had a bad turn, and was in hospital. I flew home in hysterics on Thursday, 23rd, and found out that Dad had signed himself out of the hospital - I did tell ye he hated hospitals :) . It seems he got some kind of boost from the oxygen he received on the trip in the ambulance.
His body is shutting down slowly - the medical staff told my sister that he has a very strong heart, but that his circulation is shutting off, his legs, now his arms. He can no longer help us with anything - he struggled for a long time, and was able to move some little bit, but is now immobile. He is in his own bed at home, and we are taking turns to stay with my mother and himself. A simple task like lifting him to change his depends, costs him a huge amount of energy, and leaves him gasping for breath and blue around the lips. The good thing is that he no longer seems terrified, though he is not sleeping at night - I think he is afraid to close his eyes, and the aggression has long since passed. He cannot thank us enough for looking after him and keeping him at home. How much longer we can manage, I don't know, but he is only taking nutritional drinks now - no solid food, and his urine output has declined an awful lot. He is not in pain, and seems calm and serene. Of course we are heartbroken, and I pray for a peaceful death for him. I am so so glad that we didn't place him in a nursing home against his wishes - he is happy at home. Its not easy on us, but he is happy, and that more than makes up for the sacrifices we have to make. Please think of him in your prayers and I will keep ye updated, a heartfelt thanks to you all for helping me on this awful journey,
Ger

Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:02 pm

Post Re: Dad's huge decline
Yes, Ger, I will be praying for you and your family. God bless you for being such a good and caring daughter and may your father's journey be peaceful.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:39 pm

Ger,
I hope that your father's passing is peaceful.
Robin

Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Ger,
I am so sorry to hear of your Dad's decline , I do offer thoughts and prayers for all of you!

Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:04 pm
Profile WWW

Ger, your dad and your mother are so blessed to have you with them - I will hold you and your family in the Light (Quaker expression) through this difficult time.
Laurel

Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Ger, how fortunate for you and for him that you can be there for your parents. Do you have Hospice services that can come in and help at this time?

Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Ger - thanks for updating us and you know we are all sending our best wishes for a peaceful passing of your father, and peace to you and the rest of your family. Take care, Lynn

Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:08 pm

Ger, Your dad is in my thoughts and prayers, take care of yourself.

Fondly,
Gerry

Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:22 am

Holding you near in thoughts and prayers.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:13 am

Ger,
Keeping you, your Dad, Mom and family in my thoughts......
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:38 am

Ger wrote:
Please think of him in your prayers and I will keep ye updated, a heartfelt thanks to you all for helping me on this awful journey,
Ger

Ger,

I do pray…so I am keeping you, your Dad and your family in my prayers.

Let me thank you for helping me on my journey…if that brings any more meaning to what is going on in your life, I want you to know the extent that it is helping me….

You and your Dad and your experience will live on through me….and be passed down to my Daughter...you are real…not just some words in cyberspace…

We share the opposite side of this experience…you are the Daughter and I am the Dad…

One of my daughters has been the one that I have come to count on…

Life really is a continuum….there is no end…we all just occupy our space…as parents we try to pass on the idea that it is what you do with your time that counts…

It is what takes place….that gets left to prosperity….and helps build the future through others living in your experience…then they use that experience when stepping into their place in time…immortality...

Thank both of you for living on in both my Daughter and me...

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:19 am

God Bless you and yours BC. It is these positives that you now point out that will keep me strong at this most difficult time. I am proud to say that Dad is so at peace and so calm, and happy to be in his own home. Everything happens for a reason, and the nursing home not working out was meant to be that way. Let me tell you from a daughters perspective - I know this is an awful disease - but I can also tell you that on the positive side, it brought my Dad and I so very much closer together. Life is very precious, and sometimes we lose sight of this. Helping Dad through this has not been easy at times, but I do have very special memories, and I know it has made me a better person.

Last edited by Ger on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:02 pm

This is really wonderful to read, Ger. Best wishes to you and your father.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:01 pm

Ger,
These are the memories you will hang onto for yrs to come !

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:52 pm
Profile WWW

Ger,

As a daughter who lost her dad to Alzheimer's less than 3 years ago, my heart goes out to you. We were also able to keep dad at home through his passing and this is such a huge last gift you are giving him. May the Lord wrap his arms around you and your family now and give you all peace.

With love,

Marilyn

Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next