View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Not for everybody:Dementia Beyond Drugs by G. Allen Power 

Post Not for everybody:Dementia Beyond Drugs by G. Allen Power
I recommend this book with some trepidation as it is not for everybody. My greatest fear is that somone who is not physically or mentally able to take care of their LO will read it and do away with the drugs that are helping them cope with this diesase. My uncle is 90 and my aunt is 85. She suffers from Alzhiemers and he is her only caregiver. Would I recommend the treatment options listed in this book to them? Not on your life, I wouldn't.

Having said that, I like this book for the way it outlines the problems with the medical profession today as they relate to Dementia and the elderly in general, and the alternatives it provides. Throughout the book there are ancedotes based on the experiences of actual patients and their caregivers that are helpful and all too relatable to anyone familiar with Dementia.

After Dr. Powers gets beyond indicting the health care profession and outlining solutions to those particular problems, comes a really useful section for primary caregivers. This section teaches you how to empower yourself and your loved one. He points out what may really be behind some of the more common expressions of discomfort such as "I want to go home!" and provides insight into the tangled web of demented thought processes.

This book in fact is what caused me to start investigating Lewy Body Dementia as a possible dx for my LO. It lead to the ultimate DX by a Neurologist at a teaching hospital, and guided me through the terrible course of this disease.

It was particularly helpful during the last few months when I finally stopped trying to correct John's delusions and became a cheerleader and guide-or was he guiding me - on this fantastic, if somewhat harrowing at times, journey through his world.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Post Re: Not for everybody:Dementia Beyond Drugs by G. Allen Powe
Thanks for the recommendation!

Sharon E.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]