View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 am sick with sinus/throat infection - meds that okay? 

Post am sick with sinus/throat infection - meds that okay?
HI Again All,
I am an early-onset patient with LBD (another neuro thinks I might have FTD too).....I am really sick with a sinus infection/throat infection right now - can you all tell me the safest meds to take - know not to take dextramorthine (sp)....can I take sudafed? Are augmentin and amoxillicin okay in your experience? Thanks to you all - I have so many questions - I have called my doc three times since my dx in my first appt in february and we don't meet gain until may (she is at a teaching hospital) so I appreciate anything you can share with me - I also understand everyone is differnent and can have different reactions to the same meds.....I had a root canal in november - but it's acting up again - they gave me 5 halcion, maxed out nitrous oxide, and I had taken 4 mg of klonopin beforehand....I was awake for the whole thing...I am one of those people with paradoxocial reactions or none at all to sedating meds - even remember everything about a finger surgery 3 yrs ago and a colonoscopy in 2002...versed and valium are jokes to my body....sorry for rambling - it's evening - you know?...thanks for putting up with me and for all of your kindness....
Best wishes to you all,
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:17 pm

Post Re: am sick with sinus/throat infection - meds that okay?
I don't know the med answers, Tonya. I'm sending you a hug until someone comes along with information for you...

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:47 am

Thanks Jeanne!!! Best to you as well....
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:59 am

Tonya, I'll stick my neck out and say that plain guaifenesin is safe to take and it can help loosen things up. The trade name is Mucinex but make sure it's JUST guaifenesin because they have versions of it with other cold remedies added which would be very bad for you. As far as I know most antibiotics are OK for most Lewys. My husband has been on more than his share with no adverse effects. And Tylenol is OK for aches and pains. Hope you get well soon! God bless!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:08 am

Tonya,

Caveat - I'm a layperson.

I don't know why DM keeps getting poo-poo'd by the lay community. It can cause problems in some and is perfectly fine in others. I've never read anything by a dementia expert as to warning against using this medication in those with dementia. Please share if you know of something!

Sudafed, like DM, can be fine in some and cause problems in others.

Guaifenesin should be fine. Loratadine should be fine.

I'd suggest you avoid Benadryl, Tylenol PM, and other anticholinergics.

I know of no special prohibitions about antibiotics.

You are right: everyone is different and can have different reactions to the same meds. The key is to be cautious, start with a low dose, increase the dose slowly, and watch for side effects.

Robin

PS. Didn't even know Halcion was prescribed any more!

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:31 am

Hi Tonya, sorry you are sick and hope you feel better soon. Many people believe that saline solution, either used in a Nedy (sp?) pot, or you can buy various sprays, can help clear up infections and get your plugged sinuses to drain. You may look into this as well as antibiotics and mucinex. I recently used Arm & Hammer Simply Saline that is an aerosol and squirted some extra. It does seem to help unplug and drain your sinuses, which is what you want. Feel better, Lynn

Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:47 am

It's a neti pot. See:
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pa ... /neti-pots

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:39 pm

I am an allergy sufferer and tried the neti pot several times without success. Too hard to turn your head to the side and let the water run in the nostrils. Then my allergist gave me a bottle device with special salt packets that makes the process 1,000 times easier. This bottle has a top that fits up against your nostril so you just fill the bottle with warm distilled water and a salt packet (comes with the bottle, and you can order more separately), lean over a sink, put the bottle to each nostril, and squeeze the bottle to rinse your sinuses.

The salt packets have some kind of buffering agent that makes the warm saline water much more pleasant. It takes a few times to get used to it but I find myself actually looking forward to rinsing my nose in the morning. If you go to neilmed.com you will find this particular product.

It really helps a lot, though please note that you should never force fluid into your sinuses if you are completely blocked. I have been able to quit using steroid nasal sprays entirely since using this sinus rinse. And I have not had a sinus infection since I started the rinsing, either. No, I'm not on commission (LOL!), just like to let others know that this is out there.

Hope this helps!

Julianne

Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:55 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions! I am very grateful for your kindness!!!
Take care,
Tonya

Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:41 pm

I can't stand the feeling of a lot of water going up my nose - too many years of water going up my nose from swimming & diving when I was a kid! Thus, the neti pot is not workable for me. I can handle an extra squirt of the Arm & Hammer aerosol. I know I should use it every day since I have a lot of allergies and sinus issues. A few weeks ago when I used it several days in a row it worked quite well. Lynn

Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:34 pm

Lynn, having grown up swimming in the Atlantic ocean in the summer and then competitively swimming, I had plenty of exposure to water up the nose.

All I can tell you is that the saline mixture in warm water is actually soothing! It does take a few tries to get used to it, but it does not feel like pool water, or even ocean water. And the saline solution is even supposed to help prevent colds. My stepdaughter's six year old was even able to handle the peds version of the NeilMed rinse bottle. I suppose it's not for everyone, but I really love it.

Julianne

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]