View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 More on Namenda 

Post Re: More on Namenda
Misty- from the many conversations with my dad's CNP, his psych. & neuro about Namenda & Aricept, I do remember they said it is NEVER a good idea to just dx these meds, that they should always be stepped down.
If your husband is sleeping all the time and not eating, or not eating much, it sounds like the LOs of those of us whose LOs were in their final stages. Is he on hospice? If not, you may want to get a hospice eval. to help figure out where he is in the progression.
Sending you a big hug, I know it's so hard! Lynn

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:20 am

Misty,
I just read up on the Namenda and there is no mention about how to stop taking it other than to contact your Doctor , so being the doctor is the one who took your husband off there is no need for that but I do encourage you that when you have questions like that to ask the doctor and I also woiuld ask for a hospice evaluation at this point and if things improve he can always come off it !

Keeping you im my thoughts !

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:55 am
Profile WWW

Thanks all for your comments. Things just have to be so complicated, especially with this disease.His appetite is fair to good. He wants food, but when placed in front of him, he doesnt eat much. But, he hasnt lost much weight yet. I have contacted a local hospice. A wonderful place that has already done a eval, and we were accepted. I believe it will be for pallative care, in the beginning, which will switch to hospice when needed. As soon as he comes from rehab, I am to make the call, and they will be here ready to work the following day. I will finally have some help. 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. I know this isnt much, but it will help with his daily needs. Also the RN will be here twice a week. They have a beautiful Hospice house, where he can go up to 5 days every month for my respite, if needed. However, if the moves affect him as badly as this transition to the SNF for rehab has done, we probably wont take advantage of that until later. His PCP feels that we are in the later stages. He told me that he thought we had been there for almost a year. But with this crazy disease, who knows. My hubby has refused to see the neuro since the trip takes almost 2 hours, one way. I have relied mostly on the PCP and what has worked best for him. But with the Lords help we will get through this, day by day. Sometimes minute by minute. The night he was calling 911, he thought the chicken houses were going to flood. We have never owned or operated chicken houses. He must have seen something on tv about commercial chicken production. Earlier in the night he thought that he was in a beef slaughter house. We had watched that on Modern Marvels. He thought he owned the place. It is still, after all this time, amazing to me the things that the brain can come up with to resurrect memories of the past. Speaking of resurrection, I pray everyone has a Happy Easter and remember that Our Lord and Savior was resurrected on Easter morning. I still find great comfort in my Faith. Hope I didnt offend anyone. Love to all!!!!

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:00 am

Misty, we would never have made it this far without faith that He cares for us and will see us through. You will be in my prayers this Resurrection Day weekend.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:15 am

mistyeye,
Glad to read that you are getting some help at home.
Robin

Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3