View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 More on Namenda 

Post Re: More on Namenda
I completely understand your wanting to decrease the Namenda. If my dad had been at home that is exactly what I would have done. He was much more aggitated and depressed after being put on Namenda and Aricept. I kept saying I'd rather have him less communicative and placid than argumentative, losing his temper over nothing, and being more depressed too. Never could get the dr. to understand that, and if your LO is in a facility, the facility is required by law to follow the drs. orders, whether the meds make the person better or worse. It's good that you are there to observe behaviors before and after meds and are able to adjust them if you think they are doing more harm than good. Balancing meds and symptoms is a real challenge. Wishing you the best for today. Lynn

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:09 am

Debra, you are so right. Usually, it seems, plain common sense [all too uncommon] provides the best answers. I sometimes have to remind Derek's doctors that, if he won't let caregivers take care of him because of agitation and hostility, any increased mobility or cognition gained by the medications is pointless.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:29 am

I talked to the Dr earlier, and he wants him to stay on the namenda and increase his ativan. He says the Namenda is not what is responsible for this change..it is coincidental. I am trying to be cooperative and will give this Dr the benefit of the doubt. The Ativan is working well right now. We have had a calmer day and he is much more like himself than he has been in a while. Thanks to you all.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:18 pm

How much ativan do you give your husband, and how often? I ask because that worked to get Del to de-escalate on his last behavioral issue, so i think he may benefit from it more often. Thanks, Nan

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:39 am

Nan....He wants him on 1Mg three times a day....and it does seem to be working.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:50 am

Debra,

I'm always interested to hear that LBDers can tolerate Ativan because there's such a fear about using the benzos in LBD.

Is the MD thinking that the increase in delusions and dementia-related behaviors is due to the natural progression of LBD? It is very hard to know if a symptom is a side effect of medication, caused by something else (such as an infection), or due to the underlying disorder.

Robin

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:34 am

Robin,

My mother's SNF was refusing to administer the PRN Ativan that the doctor had prescribed, but since recently her hysterical crying episodes have become a daily occurrence, now she is finally getting the Ativan every morning.

It is helping and she is tolerating it just fine--not overmedicated, too sleepy, unsteady on her feet or any of the other stuff that the DON was concerned about.

Julianne

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Julianne,
So glad to hear that something is working!
Robin

Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Yeah, no kidding! I gave up on the DON and made a few comments to the SW about being concerned that my mother was getting hysterical and crying so much. I don't know if that had anything to do with their change of position on administering the Ativan, but whatever did it, I am glad they started giving it to her.

Thanks,

Julianne

Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Good news Julianne. I hope it keeps on working. Lynn

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Julianne,
So glad there is some relief !

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:55 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks! And only a week until the neuro appointment, so I am hoping for something positive there, too.

Julianne

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:03 pm

Hello Everyone, I have been gone for a while, the hubby has been in the hospital since the 5th with a bloodclot in his leg. Been reading this about Namenda. To make a long story short, after a rather frank discussion with his PCP, the decision was made to discontinue the Aricept and Namenda. I agree totally with Lynn, that both drugs were keeping him more cognizant of HIS situation, even though he is in complete denial. He has been telling me for about 2 months that he didnt want to have to live the way he is, if I had to keep wiping his behind for him. Sad but true. His depression was worsening and the delusions were getting worse also. Since the DC of the 2 drugs (0n the 10th) he seems to be receding into the past, but not as depressed as before. My question is--does anyone know how long it takes for these drugs to completely void from the body? And they stopped both of them at once. No declining dosage. I wondered about this too. He is now in a SNF for rehab to try to get him walking again, which has been gone for over a month. They seem to think that it is due to lack of movement, but I am not so sure. I thought it was worth a try, if it could possibly help. He has not turned over in bed, or got out of bed or a chair, unassisted in about 4 months. Only wants to lie in bed and sleep. Also the SNF told me today that if he wasnt calmer tonight, that this may be his last night with them. It seems they gave him a phone and when he couldnt dial my number correctly to get me, he called 911 :roll: , 4 times , none the less. So they took his phone. :lol: DUH!! Welp, I have talked enough, just wondering what others might think? Thanks in advance. Everyone here is such a super bunch! I find great comfort and insight from each of you.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Probably a good pharmacist would know the answer to this question, if the MD isn't available to answer it. I don't know if a website such as rxlist.com or drugs.com addresses this information.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:37 am

Misty, I'm afraid I have no advice for you, but just wanted to let you know you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless, Ger xxx

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next