View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 More on Namenda 

Post More on Namenda
I saw the thread on the Namenda Poll...thought I would start a new thread for some more updated conversation on Namenda. DH started on 5 Mg, once a day...upped to twice a day...upped to 10 mg twice a day for the past week. Now we have some old recurring symptoms rearing their ugly head....sweating, nausea, vomiting, restlessness, headache, muscle cramps, insomnia. I am stopping the nighttime dose and just going to keep the 10 mg dose of the AM.

Anyone else have similar reactions to Namenda?

Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Post Re: More on Namenda
My mother was on Namenda 5 mg. twice a day for about three years, after her PCP diagnosed "dementia," and it was increased to 10 mg. twice a day in February 2010 after she was diagnosed with LBD by a neurologist. She has tolerated both dosages very well.

Julianne

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:57 pm

My LO started on Namenda in December. One 10mg twice a day. She has done outstanding. The visit to the Neurologist on Tuesday had them amazed. Her movement score improved 1 point and her Minne Mental Test score increased by 6 points. Her hallucinations are no worse then they were. Her overall attitude and desire to keep on has improved by 100% 8)

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:16 pm

My dad - speech and thinking improved for a while, frustration and anger markedly worse. Lynn

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Lynn, that's a good point. I guess I should also mention that both Namenda and Aricept, which my mother started taking a year ago, may have the paradoxical effect of making her more aware of her decline, and thus more frustrated and unhappy that she would have been without them. I'm taking her to a neurologist next month to see what he thinks about all of her meds, among other issues.

Julianne

Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Frank has been of Namenda, 10mg x 2 for 1 1/2 years. The Dr. saw that Frank's cognition had decline and didn't think the Namenda or Aricept were helping any longer. We tried to eliminate the evening dose of Namenda, but after 11 days, it seemed he became more confused, less cognitive and combative. We put him back on the evening dose, but I'm trying again, if he becomes resistant or combative, I'll assume it is still helping in some way. This disease fluctuates so that I'm never sure if it's the med, or lack of, or just the disease. It's definitely a crap shoot.
Gerry

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:15 pm

You summed it up perfectly, Gerry! We do the best we can, observe and try to see patterns, but ultimately it is hard to tell many times if it's cause and effect, or random, or changes are due to inappropriate drugs. It really does feel like a crap shoot mostly, doesn't it? Lynn

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:28 pm

Debra, Ken has been on 10 mg. Namenda, 2x day since 2008. He was on Aricept for a very brief time but it agitated him terribly so they started him on Namenda and he has tolerated it just fine. As I just mentioned in another post, Ken's Neurologist does not believe the Namenda is doing any good at this stage, but fells we may as well continue it because it is doing no harm, has no side effects for Ken. Sher

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:41 pm

Chris is on Aricept as well as the Namenda. His delusions are much worse since being on this increased dosage. I just don't think it is a good change for him at this point. More confused is better than more delusional. Right now, he is on the floor in front of the TV, as if he is going to climb into the TV...he said is keeping them from seeing the mahogany furniture in the room. This is the first active delusion he has had in months.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:12 pm

Debra, I'm sorry for all you are going through. I remember how the delusions can keep you on your toes day and night. Hopefully you and Chris' doc can find a good balance with the meds. Do you have door alarms? This might be a good time to get some. I speak from experience! Take care, Sher

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:04 am

Sher,
I usually don't have to worry about doors...I have them "belled" so they make noise when they are opened. He cannot open the doors anymore. I have more than one lock and he cannot operate them. My son accidentally locked me out one day and Chris could not unlock the screen door.

Thanks for your kind words.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:01 pm

I finally have Chris on the prescribed dosage of Namenda..his memory is better, but his delusions and agitation have gotten significantly worse. He threw out the family dog and would not allow him back in the house. When I tried to later get the poor thing back inside, he had a fit and attacked both me and dog. I ended up have to punch him square in the face and kick him to get him off both of us. I saved the dog and he is now with my parents. They live up stairs. After a few hours, he could not figure out where our dog went...went outside looking for him, etc. I finally told him he was upstairs...and told him what happened. He thought it was kinda funny. I am not laughing. The only change in meds is the Namenda.

Am I crazy here??? I would rather have him mute and staring at a wall rather than this!

Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:02 pm

Oh Debra, my heart goes out to you. It is so awful when things get physical. I know exactly what you mean when you say you would rather have him mute and staring, than like this. It is, IMHO, the lesser of two evils. Talk to the doctor, there is something out there that will work for you both - you just have to find it. Don't beat yourself up over how you feel - I know exactly what you mean. It is not out of malice that you feel this way. When Dad gets like that, I feel so mad at him, and have to remind myself that it isn't him - and that is very difficult to do when you are in the middle of the situation. Medically, I really can't advise you, but emotionally, I can say that you have to remind yourself that you are doing your best, and you are only human and still have human emotions. xx

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:43 am

Debra, This just shows there isn't a "one size fits all". Frank reacts just the opposite, without the Namenda, he got mean and nasty. He's never shown his mean side to anyone but me, and he knows what he's doing. He held my wrists so tightly I couldn't get away. When I said you're hurting me, he said "I know", and still didn't let go. This is NOT the man I married but that's hard to remember when your in the mist of their temper. Hang in there and hopefully having your parents close will give support and comfort for you.
Gerry

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:33 am

I appreciate you all more than you will ever know. The very fact that a lot of you all have already said goodby to your LO, but you stick around HERE in this much needed, but heartbreaking, place is testimony to your care and concern for others. It is appreciated and I pray I can follow your example.

I made a very bad mistake when I interacted with Chris during his FREAKING out over the dog. Instead of calmly allowing him to just set the dog free into the outside, I attempted to stop him. Obviously, that was an error. Today, it happened again, with much different results...I allowed him to simply turn the dog out. Period. Nothing said, nothing done. I then simply went upstairs and called him around to the first floor and let him back in. Locked the doors between the floors and waited for things to settle. No conversation, nothing. all is quiet except for my stomach and head.

I have come to realize the LESS interaction, the LESS conversation, the LESS stimulation, the better. I have a call out to the DR for his input. I am stopping this higher dose of Namenda, regardless of what he says, and I am not going to just throw meds at him to correct this problem. He was better before this...I want to go back to that even if it means less memory!

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next