View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Extreme rigidity- transportation options?? 

Post Extreme rigidity- transportation options??
My husband, Ken, has gotten so rigid that we can no longer bend his legs sufficiently to get him into the van. I need to figure out a way to transport him, soon. Has anyone used a Bruno Turny Seat? Has anyone had their vehicle modified to accomodate a wheelchair? Any suggestions will be appreciated! Sher

Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:07 pm

Post Re: Extreme rigidity- transportation options??
Sher - all I have to offer is we call a care van whenever we have to take Mom out now, they load the wheelchair with her in it. It is spendy though and so she doesn't get out much, but at least it is a way to get her to Doctor's appointments etc. While she was still able to sit in a van but couldn't turn we used an upside down piece of Naugahyde (shiny side down) to turn her. I had a friend with ALS who bought her own modified van. Wishing you well -hope you find a suitable solution.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:44 pm

Some in our atypical parkinsonism support group have used this rotating seat. This seat addresses the problem of getting in to the vehicle. It doesn't address rigidity. You should be able to test this rather easily to see if it helps. (In our area, vans with this type of seat can be rented.)

When the person is too rigid for a ride in a car seat, people consider other options such as bringing the medical professionals to the home.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Robin,
When you say "this rototing seat" are you talking about the Bruno Turny seat? It's the one that turns out of the car then when the person is seated pulls back into the car. I have googled everything I can think of to find a turny seat rental with no luck. Florida seems to have a lot of 'ability cars' but I'm in So Cal. I like to take Ken to the zoo or just cruise along the beach, so I really don't want to give up his rides. Thanks, Sher

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Yes, by "rotating seat" I was referring to the Bruno Turny seat. It rotates up and out of the vehicle, the person sits down, and then it rotates back up and into the vehicle. I've seen it before as one of our local support group members used a van that was retrofitted with the BT seat...and donated it to another support group member.

I'll look up the name of the Northern CA agency that rents vans to the handicapped. Maybe they know of a SoCal agency.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:26 pm

Thank you, Robin!

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:33 pm

Found it. Turns out that it's a national company. This resource was mentioned by a local support group member:

"This is a great resource. Our neighbors have been using Wheelchair Getaways and it was perfect for getting Marilyn out of the house. They have now just purchased one of the vans through them.

http://www.wheelchairgetaways.com/
1.800.638-1912

They are national. A local Bay Area contact is Elaine at 650/589-5556."

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]