View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Tylenol PM forbidden? 

Post Tylenol PM forbidden?
The neurologist's office just called said to give Dale either double the Xanax .05 or Tylenol PM at night. Isn't Tylenol PM on the forbidden list?

As I've said before, I question everything they tell me.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Post Re: Tylenol PM forbidden?
Frank's Dr, said NO Tylenol PM, reg tylenol was OK.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:47 pm

Tylenol PM contains the chemical used to make Benadryl (diphenhydramine). That chemical is anticholinergic. It's a no-no for people with an acetylcholine deficiency, such as those with LBD or AD.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:52 pm

I should add that the diphenhydramine part of Tylenol PM is what makes it sedating and, therefore, useful in the PM.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:54 pm

Have you tried the drugs listed on Boeve's continuum? For example, Clonazepam, Melatonin, or Zolpidem? I personally take Trazodone (in a dose appropriate for insomnia not a dose for anxiety) and I find it fairly effective at turning off the racing mind. I guess I'd discuss the drugs on that list first unless the doctor can explain why he isn't taking that path.

I know that you want Dale's remaining time to be comfortable and with as much quality as possible. How seriously does his talking for hours at night detract from these goals?

Hugs to you, dear lady!

Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:11 pm

JeanneG wrote:
How seriously does his talking for hours at night detract from these goals?
I think talking nonsense from bedtime to 3 am is a problem for any spouse ... especially one trying to sleep in the same room.

This afternoon, Dale yelled because he thought the pipes in the bedroom ceiling were going to come down on him. (There are no pipes in the ceiling.) I gave him Seroquel to quiet him.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:38 pm

JeanneG wrote:
Have you tried the drugs listed on Boeve's continuum? For example, Clonazepam
When the visiting nurse was here early this afternoon, I told her of our on-going problem with the neurologist and she said quite firmly..."He isn't listening!"

She will call the neurologist with a recommendation for Clonazepam and if he won't agree, she will call our primary doctor and explain the situation. I was thrilled to have her agree to go to bat for us.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Clonazepam worked really well for my mother before she went into the SNF, where they don't want her to have it. She wasn't delusional like Dale, but she had a high anxiety level (which, looking back, I believe may have been caused from her awareness that she was failing, though she would not let on). I sure hope the nurse gets through to one of the doctors so that you can get some rest, Leone.

Julianne

Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:35 pm

Leone,
I am glad the nurse is going to call the Doctor on your behalf, it is so hard to find a Doctor who will partner with family members on care for their LO!
I hope this works and both you and Dale can finally get some relief.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:24 pm
Profile WWW

Unhappily, the nurse could not get the neurologist to change his mind. He said Klonopin (Clonazepam) does not go with Seroquel ... and that is essential for Dale at times during the day. I rarely use it during the day but it is in my bag of tricks when I need it.

Dale is still taking Seroquel 100 and Xanax .05 times 2 at night. Tonight, he took the pills and continued talking to his imaginary people for another three hours.

Upon the nurse's recommendation, I will speak with Dale's PCP.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:28 pm

Leone wrote:
Unhappily, the nurse could not get the neurologist to change his mind. He said Klonopin (Clonazepam) does not go with Seroquel

Shhh ... don't tell our doctors that. Brad Boeve and Carlos Shenk think it is a dandy combination for Coy. I'd hate for them to find out they don't go together.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:01 am

Leone, I know it is no consolation to you to hear this but Dale sounds more like Mr Bobby than any others I have ever listened to on this forum. I did just what you say yu are doing, I sat many, many hours listening while I folded clothes, worked crossword puzzles, dozed in the recliner and such as that until he wore himself out. I was amused at the cup of beer you gave Dale. I thought, "Now why did I not think of that?" I would certainly have tried it. I tried everything else. Let's just hope the images stay friendly. It is when the fire begins raging, or the animals attack, or as you said the ceiling is about to fall in, that I would give him anything I could to "knock him out". I notice you write quite often in the wee hours of the morning when it seems the rest of the world is asleep. One of our group called us the "Ladies of the night". We talked about having T shirts printed up with that written on them. That is the kind of foolishness we did on the Respite section. Dorthea

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice" When I joined in 2007 this is the way Mr B. introduced me to the people only he knew,he added "You need to listen to her" he was 89 then, death due to Lewy Body Dementia/pneumonia in 2009.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:06 am

Post Dorthea
Yes, relating your experience is more consolation than you will ever know, Dorthea. Thank you so much. Dale seems so different from these others who can take their docile charges outside in the wheelchair so easily.

Some have suggested that I get a 'lift' for him. If he was in a 'lift,' he would be more delusional than ever - fearing that he would fall.

Everything is fearful. Everything is a danger in his mind. He is rarely angry ..... but at one point yesterday, he loudly said, "If you want a divorce, go ahead." I have no idea where that came from as it had not been a topic of conversation as far as I knew.

Again, thank you.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:28 pm

Is there any way you can change MDs?

Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:49 pm

Hang in there, Leone. I don't know how you manage, especially with sleep deprivation on top of everything else. There is a special place in heaven for CGs like you.

Meanwhile, I hope one of Dale's docs will get with it and help you!

Julianne

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next