View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Clonazelam 

Post Re: Clonazelam
hi guys, would any of you know how I could find out what the equivalent of clonazelam would be in Ireland. My Dad does not sleep well and I know the tiredness is adding to his symptoms. If I mention clonazelam to his doctor, would she know what I am talking about? Would really appreciate any help or advice. Dad is on seoquel and Ebixa (I don't know if any of you have heard of this) thanks

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Ger,

I think clonazepam (also known as Klonopin in the U.S.) is known as Rivotril or Rivatril in much of the world.

Julianne

Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:03 pm

Ger,
Have you had a chance to look at Brad Boeve's 2004 book chapter about Dementia with Lewy Bodies? It is long (33 pages) and you might not want to try to absorb it all at once, but about in the middle is a handy list of symptoms and drugs used to treat them. It might be handy when discussing medications with the doctor, so you can see how what she suggests fits in.

You can access the chapter from this page. The link is near the bottom.
http://www.lbda.org/feature/1347/diagnostic-review-and-medicine-management-of-dementia-with-lewy-bodies.htm

Jeanne

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:54 am

thanks a million Jeanne and Julianne. Will do xx

Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:41 am

Dale has taken Clonazelam 1 mg at bedtime for four days now and the change has been dramatic. We have both had much more sleep. However, it has not eliminated his nonsense talking when he is awake - before and after the drug is effective. This morning, he whistled at 4 am but when I checked on him, he was soundly sleeping.

I find giving the Clonazelam to him right after dinner is best because it takes a while for it to work. The second night, I gave it to him about 8 pm and he was too wired to sleep and kept talking until midnight.

His talking has become much softer and I can barely hear the words at this point. He talks about old memories and with people who have died long ago.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:50 am

Leone - did you notice the very soft voice previously? My dad had this soft voice thing for about the last 3 years, on and off. It became more frequent in the last year, and the last few months we could barely hear him. Then every once in a while his voice would be at a normal volume. Lynn

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Yes, the soft voice has come and gone... but it is now here to stay. Thankfully, the whistle is softer too. :P

Last edited by Leone on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:22 pm

Hi guys. My Mom's voice has been soft for a couple of years now but it varies depending on her level of cognition. I sometimes wonder if it is low because she is afraid that people will hear what she says when she isn't thinking well.

On the funny side, I was twenty steps from her the other day talking to a ALF staff-member when Mom suddenly said, very loudly, "Annie, come here!". The CG and I had a good laugh over that one.

AnnieN

Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:45 pm

Post Soft voice in LBD
This topic really doesn't belong here... but I'll comment on the 'soft voice' symptom. It's my impression that Dale's hearing became far more sensitive during the course of the disease. He objected to the volume of the TV set frequently. He occasionally commented on how loud some noises were when they really were not.

I think his brain made the sounds louder and that applied to his own voice. He THOUGHT he was speaking in a normal tone but, in fact, his voice was often much too soft.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Del, too, has a very soft voice and it is difficult to understand him. But occasionally there is an 'excited utterance' that is loud and clear. Last week I was backing out of a parking space and came close to dinging a post. As I got close, Del said, loudley and clearly, "Stop. You're going to hit that post."

It was a great warning and so nice to hear his real voice again.

Leone, You may be on to something there. Del, who is hard of hearing, seems to have quite improved hearing, but greatly reduced visual acuity.

Smiles, Nan

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2