View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Neck pain suggestion 

Post Neck pain suggestion
My Mother is experienceing more neck pain than ususal. Makes sense her neck would pop or hurt with all the shaking going on from the disease.
My question is if any of U have suggestions for relief. We have been to the family Dr. & of course which I figured X-ray ordered. Tomorrow is neuro Dr. appt. but 2 mos ago he had no real help then. Of course if pain med given it will increase her chances of dizziness & falling.
If any of U recall a few months back I finally got her in ALF. This is working extremely well. She is busy talking to her tablemates at meal times & goes to some of the activites. What saddens me but she enjoys is coloring. I just purchased some colored pencils for her instead of using crayons (which she loved & got so excited over). But her behavior seems better for now. Memory still not good, bowel problems & still loses weight. Loves her walker though : ) At least she is out walking the hallways when she gets nervous. Everyone seems to like her too. The facility is very friendly & caring staff. Having a few issues getting her meds taken at correct times.
Sorry this is long but thank U so much for any suggestions!
Gayle

Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:27 am

Post Re: Neck pain suggestion
I sympathize. I too have chronic neck pain. I sleep on a Sobakawa cloud pillow. (It contains micro beads) I regularly remind myself to tuck in my chin because the cause is mostly poor posture. I use a shaped neck pillow for relief when watching TV. I do relaxation exercises including shoulder rolling and arm circles. Unfortunately, relief of muscular tension requires taking the time to move the neck using exercise. There are no magic pills.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:43 am

Have you tried one of those neck pillows that you can heat in a microwave and put it around your neck? That seems to help some. It's a temporary fix, but I find it relaxes my muscles when I get really tight there.
Isn't that nice that she is so well-connected at the ALF and can get around? You are so lucky she is still so mobile and still has the ability to connect wtih new people and engage in activities. Lynn

Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Yes, Lynn.... I have one of those too. It can be frozen or heated. I also have a neck brace of the type used after car accidents. I think I've tried everything out there. :lol:

Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:59 pm

I notice when people turn their heads by using their shoulders in the motion... I always suspect that they have neck pain too. I noticed that Donald Trump does that. :mrgreen:

Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:05 pm

She has a neck pillow I will remind her to use it. : )
Xrays today showed arthritis progressed in her neck & more spurs. I think there is a better word. Maybe in time she may get relief with a brace when her shaking progresses.
She has no microwave & stubborn on using a electric pad. Of course she can't keep that in her studio apt. But the nurses are willing to monitor
her time & let her use one. So how bad does her neck hurt,right? : )
Thanks for your help. Wondered if chiropractor or massage therapy had helped any of U.
yes she did adapt to ALF quite well. It is expensive but for now she still
is able to function better than some of the others that live there. Like I said a very caring & friendly staff & residents.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:09 am

I have used PT, chiropractor (go once a month for a tune up and when I don't do that, I have to go more often for a while), massage, electro-stim (you can buy your own smaller version of the ones PTs and chiropractors use). All of those things have helped me with neck and back pain, spasms, stiffness, etc.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:46 am

This is just from personal experience but maybe it could be helpful.

I've had strong shoulder and neck muscles ever since I was a competitive swimmer (breast stroke). After I had a whiplash injury years after I stopped swimming regularly, I would intermittently have terrible neck pain. What finally got rid of it was getting back in the pool, swimming a mile 4-5 times/week. No medical person told me to do this; it was just an intuition. But it worked, and I think it was because I strengthened my shoulder and neck muscles again.

This is all anecdotal and nonprofessional commentary, and of course your LO cannot go swimming, but I wonder if some muscle strengthening exercises could be done, maybe that would help. Maybe she could work with PT? I know how awful neck pain is--seems to affect just about any movement you make with your torso! I hope you can find some relief for her.

Julianne

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:59 am

Gayle, I was very impacted a few years back by more than 2 years of daily pain radiating from my neck. Massage therapy and chiropractic gave me my life back.
My husband, John, an LBD patient, now benefits from massage therapy. It helps him with pain, numbness in his feet, flexibility and to some degree fluidity of movement.
I hope your mom can get some relief. Can you find massage therapists and chiropractors who will visit in ALFs?
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]