View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 condom catheter 

Post Re: condom catheter
Threads have a way of doing that. These are like life -- twisting and turning in unexpected ways. You never are quite sure what nuggets you will pick up in the most unexpected places. Nan

Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 am

Because comdom catheters can leak and the apparatus isn't very comfortable, I wrap the whole thing in a very soft washcloth which stays in the diaper. Since he now wears the catheter around the clock, I often change the washcloth during the day just to make him more comfortable.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:57 am

Nan, I went to the Learning Store and got a few toys geared towards babies. One of his favorites is a 'rope' of interlocking plastic pieces that can be twisted in every direction. Another is a plastic ball with big holes in it that he laces his fingers through. When he gets a grip on something it's very hard to get him to let go, so some mornings he still has the 'tool' in his hands. Oh, another is a dog toy: a rope with big plastic bolts on it with big knots on each end. That's a good one, too. One of the caregivers called it his 'tool' one day and that seemed much more appropriate than 'toy'. I also avoid the "D" word around Ken. I call them his "briefs". We do what we can............. Sher

Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:39 am

Thank you - thank you....these suggestions are so good. My Wayne is a plucker too and sometimes grabs something and won't let go. Sometimes, it's ME. It has scared me a couple times. My son and his wife and my precious granddaughter are coming tonight so I may wait till after the weekend to try the catheter again.

Wayne will sit at his table and "play" with UNO cards for hours.(there is a 57 pick up after) He looks at our old church directory forever too....Doesn't take much to intertain him.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:50 am

Sher, I'm going to look for one of those 'ropes' for Derek. I've learned to avoid anything that requires executive function, so something he can manipulate with his hands like that sounds perfect! I'll look for one at Walmart. Are they in the infant department or the toy department? I won't get the ball--he might throw it at the staff.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:41 am

You ladies are to be commended for hanging in there the way you do. No matter how many professional people are helping, you are the ones closest to your loved ones and the ones who bring him the most comfort. You will never be sorry for what you are doing and these memories will live on forever. Dorthea

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice" When I joined in 2007 this is the way Mr B. introduced me to the people only he knew,he added "You need to listen to her" he was 89 then, death due to Lewy Body Dementia/pneumonia in 2009.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:29 pm

Howdy again, The sun is shinning in Michigan - yeah and I have had 3 succcessful nights using the condom catheter. Yeah! Thank you all for your imput. I taped the condom to the hose and wrapped it all in a soft washcloth. I pull up the sheet and put his hands on top of the sheet. Then pull up the blanket (gets cold here). It has worked like a charm and just to tell you how much he pees....urinates....It was filled up to 1600 mm's today. Can you believe that! No wonder there was such a mess in the morning.

I have the hospice nurse coming once a week and 2 nurse aides a week and none of them gave me such good advice as you have on the forum. Jeanie

Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:03 pm

The condom catheter has been working fine this week but today I noticed that the condom, while he was still wearing it had collapsed with a suction at the point where it was attached to the "hose". It had made a little round white mark on the end of his penis. It looked like it could have been hurting him and since he can't express himself - I am a little worried.

He has a medium condom....maybe he needs a larger one. Has anyone had this problem or have any ideas to help me out as I am so glad to not have the "pee" mess in the morning.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Yes, Dale's condom does that occasionally. It does not seem to bother him at all... and he can still express himself in regard to pain. I change the condom twice a day now because he wears it around the clock. After washing him, I'm careful to use a blow dryer on that area until it is completely dry each time. Moisture is the enemy.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks for the response Leone. It put my mind more at ease and now tonight I am using the large condom instead of the medium. Maybe it won't suction...
Thanks for the advice regarding keeping things clean and dry too.

Jeanie

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:59 pm

HI jweeks,
I've never seen the suction problem but still seem to be pulling hair most days. I would have thought all hair within reach would be gone by now but not so. BTW I am very careful to line up the catheter with the tube so it isn't twisted at all because then it definitely kinks at the connection. I also loop the tubing high enough to not pull on the connection if he moves. I don't know if I told you that I cut a hole in all of his bed-pants pockets so I can run the tube through that so that it is less visible (and grabable) with less than a foot of tubing exposed before it goes over the edge of the bed. I'm so happy to see that big bag of pee ever morning 'cause I know my honey is dry! Small victories. Sher

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:27 pm

Before I begin to attach a new condom, I place the soft washcloth under the penis and over all of the hair. After the condom is attached, I wrap the whole package in the washcloth. I make sure the tube runs under one leg and off the side of the bed where the bag hangs. We have never had a kinking problem. I am not sure what you mean by 'looping high enough.' Going from the end of the penis to the bag near the floor has no loop at all.

Since Dale wears a diaper, he has no need for PJ bottoms at this point.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3