View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 condom catheter 

Post condom catheter
I've read other posts about the use of the condom catheter, but I always assumed Ken would just pull it off. Well, this is the second night in a row that he hasn't woken up soaked, the condom catheter is working and Ken is fine with it! For anyone who hasn't seen one, think of a condom with a tube at the end lined with sticky glue to help it stay on (kinda like fly-paper). Other than being dangerous to any hair that it gets near it is great! Can anyone tell me how long the bag should be used? I rinsed it with soapy water but it was still wet for the next night's use, will that breed bacteria? They (Kaiser) sent me 100 of the condom catheters but no bags or tubing so I don't know how long one bag is expected to last, I've only purchased one so far. Thanks, Sher

Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:06 am

Post Re: condom catheter
Sher, my husband has an indwelling catheter and uses the leg bags during the day, the regular catheter bags at night. Both have anti-reflux valves at the top. I always rinsed them out and have asked the SNF staff to do the same, not because the bacteria can get back up the tube but because they can get a little grungy.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:34 am

Sher, How do you avoid the hair? Did you have to shave an area?

Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:44 am

I used an electric shaver to shave the area.

The urine bag should be rinsed and disinfected every day. I suggest getting 2 or 3 bags. Let the one you just rinsed/cleaned drain in the shower. I got some great-smelling cleaner from Hollister -- totally eliminated the urine smell from the bathroom.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:31 pm

I use 2 tbsps of vinegar in the urine bag after emptying it. I have a small funnel for the purpose.

I change them every three weeks. We've used a condom catheter since August 2009. That was the recommendation of the company.

The problems we had at first were caused by failing to keep the genital area dry after removing the catheter and washing the area. I carefully wash the area now and then dry it with a hair dryer.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Easier than a funnel is a catheter-tip 60cc syringe. You can draw your 'solution' [I use bleach] into it as well as the rinse water. The tip, being tapered and larger than an injection-type syringe, fits nicely. http://www.qualitymedicalsupplies.com/page/QMS/PROD/SN-CT/58-309620 You can also get bags with short latex extensions on the dump valve which makes it even easier to connect the syringe or you can cut a couple of inches off some flexible latex extension tubing, which we use, anyway, with the leg bags http://www.bardcatheter.com/leg-bags-c7367/dispoz-a-bag-flip-flo-valve-without-leg-straps-p193017.html.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the info. I think I have the picture now. Gerry, I'm hesitant to shave him cuz I know that can be itchy when it grows back. I did use scissors to snip the hair short, and of course the little catheter booger took care of a LOT of hair that first night (sorry, honey :oops: ). I'll only be using it at night because even with a Depend lined with a tabs-type brief and then spot-padded with another pad, all extra-absorbent, it was not enough to keep him dry through the night. During the day I change the little extra pad often and he gets a shower first thing every morning to cleanse the area. Knock on wood: we haven't had any skin irritations to date. Sher

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:06 pm

How is it that the adhesive and lack of air to the skin for the extended period of time doesn't ruin the skin?

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:44 pm

As I wrote before, Gail..... washing and completely drying the area is the key. I'm not kidding about the hair dryer!

The adhesive is no worse than a bandage.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:02 pm

It has been interesting reading your posts. I am trying the condom catheter tonight for the 1st time. I trimmed the hair around the area but still got some stuck in it. I am hoping this works as my sweetie has been flooding the 2 extra lg. diapers and the blue pads and went clear through to the matress pad this morning. Oh, my, I have had a lot of laundry. Just for fun I weighed the diapers from the last 2 nights this morning and they weighed 8.8 lbs.(they were in plastic bags of course). Actually, I am afraid that he might fill that bag!

Do all of you put pajamas on your LOs? Do you put the drain out the bottom of a pull-up or the top? I hope this works.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:55 pm

jweeks -
We had the same overflow too. I did lots of water testing of briefs and pads, and used the ones that held the most, based upon my tests. Still, we ended up having to go for a Foley indwelling catheter.
Robin

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:17 am

jweeks wrote:
Do all of you put pajamas on your LOs? Do you put the drain out the bottom of a pull-up or the top? I hope this works.
Dale never has worn pajamas - preferring shorts and a tee shirt. At this point, he wears the condom catheter drain pulled out of the bottom of a paper diaper. It drains under his leg to the bag on the floor. It's best to have it drain as much downward as possible so the liquid will flow easily.

Even though Dale now wears paper diapers (for number two), I still wrap a very soft wash cloth (I use micro cloth ones for the purpose) around the area of the condom to absorb any leakage.

As far as the hair issue is concerned, it still gets caught... but Dale is used to it at this point. I don't bother to cut it. When I place the cloth into position, it helps to keep the hair from the adhesive as I attached the condom.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:30 am

I've tried 3 brands of pull-ups and there are still nights that the pad and sometimes the top sheet and blanket gets wet. Frank gets up anytime he wants so I don't think we could use the catheters yet. Last night was the 4th time he got up, without my knowing, removed his pull-up while still in bed and stood at the bed and peed. Today I going to try to get the alarms that they use in NH's, the one that has magnets and when they separate the alarm goes off. It is a challenge trying to stay just one step ahead of them.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:49 am

Gerry wrote:
Last night was the 4th time he got up, without my knowing, removed his pull-up while still in bed and stood at the bed and peed.
Dale once did it in the bathroom sink... but never in the bedroom. I guess I was lucky. I didn't think so at the time because urine ran into the drawers below making everything soaking wet. I had several drawers with pools of urine to clean.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:04 am

My 1st night with the catheter went well even tho I didn't do it exactly right. Tonight I will do better. The alarms work well. Get one that has a safety latch so he can't take it off. It is just a little plastic piece that fits in the gripper. I spent a year getting up with Wayne several times a night - I was exhausted and was glad when he became inconient. He peed everywhere if I didn't catch him. He will still pee when I take him to the toilet and pull his pants down before he sits and it is all over the floor. What we do for our men.......cause there is still the memories of happy times and love.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next