View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Pittsburgh Compound 

Post Pittsburgh Compound
Here's a question for you seasoned Lewy advocates. My husband, aged 48 has been seeing a neurologist in our local university hospital. There were some concerns at first that his symptoms were only psychiatric (though severe) but he showed a considerable decline on neuropsyche tests this year compared to last. They are leaning now toward there being two issues with him: dementia co-existing with psych. The neurologist would like to do a PET scan but my insurance will not cover it so we've been at a stand-still. This year, he mentioned some new information regarding PET scans involving a Pittsburgh Compound. Anyone ever heard of this?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Post Re: Pittsburgh Compound
Pittsburgh Compound B = PIB. This is a type of dye that is used with a PET scan to detect amyloid, which is one of the proteins involved in Alzheimer's. It's been around for several years.

There's quite a bit posted here about PIB-PET and DLB. Check out the Research section if you are interested.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 pm

If the doctor could show the insurance company a specific reason for doing a PET with Pittsburgh Compound, would that help sway them?

I get so frustrated with health care availability decisions being made by a for-profit company who has never laid eyes on my loved one! Hang in there! You can see by this board that you are not alone in your struggles.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:36 pm

PET scans are very expensive. I know of few insurance companies that will pay for them. PIB-PET is not available at all facilities. Most likely any facility that has a PIB-PET available would likely be willing to enroll someone with suspected DLB into its research program, and would conduct the PET scan at no charge.

My (layperson) understanding is that a "regular" PET scan wouldn't have much value in helping diagnose DLB.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:10 am

Thanks, Robin. That context helps explain the situation.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:23 am

JaneGrace,

I think there's a fair amount posted here about PIB-PET. One post that you may find interesting is this one about a person who got PIB-PET and was found to have amyloid in the brain. It was assumed amyloid = Alzheimer's. In this case, the person had DLB and CAA. CAA is a disease of amyloid.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2706

Robin

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]