View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Another ? about seroquel 

Post Another ? about seroquel
Mom has been on seroquel only 2 1/2 weeks. It seems so far that if she gets 1 seroquel in the morning and 2 night she sleeps most of the next day, but if she only gets one morn and night, she stays awake half the night. Where is the happy medium, or is there truly no happy medium with lbd?

I don't want her to sleep until it's time to take her night meds, but I don't want her to be awake until 3:30 a.m. either. When she is awake at night she is tends to be more delusional or disoriented.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Debbie

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Post Re: Another ? about seroquel
How about 2 at night and none or 1/2 in the morning. Seroquel has some sedating qualities which may be why she is sleeping through the day. But, some Lewy patients get on a 24 hour sleep 24 hour awake pattern too. But decreasing the am dose or eliminating it, while keeping the night dose sounds like a place to start. Good luck...this is a trial and error thing. All of us have been there. Nan

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:13 pm

What does the prescribing MD say? Are you already cutting the 25mg tablet in half? If not, try giving a half dose.

Sorry if I mentioned this before but an antipsychotic is a big-gun to use as a sleep aide. Have other sleep aides been tried?

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly.
The seroquel was prescribed for hallucinations, delusions and her extreme distress while in those episodes. Are there other drugs that members have experience with that work for those symptoms better than seroquel?
We could try 1/2 in the morning and if that doesn't work, maybe 1 1/2 at night. We do have a pill cutter for other meds.
Sometimes it's hard to see past my nose at something so obvious as cutting a pill. I will give it a try!

Debbie

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:00 pm

Yes, those Seroquel tabs are tiny little buggers and hard to split with a pill cutter but I have a bottle of just halves I already split, since he takes 75mg at night and I need 1-1/2.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Fran takes 2 pills of Seroquel in the morning, 2 pills in the afternoon, and 3 before he goes to bed. Dosage is 25mg for the grand total of 175mg a day. Since he still had trouble sleeping, and still having hallucinations, delusions. In addtion to all of the Seroquel he is now on Clozapine, and still he can't fall asleep some nights. That is when I give him 2 Tylenol PM. Mmmmmmm that works like a charm. Bernie

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:35 pm

I hate to tell you this, Bernie, but Tylenol PM has diphenhydramine [Benadryl] in it and it's an anticholinergic usually discouraged in LBD. :|

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:16 pm

Bernie, Frank's dr told me not to give Frank tylenol PM, I could give him melatonin. But if it lets both of you get a nights sleep, it must work for you.
Gerry

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:20 pm

Cheezz what kind of a neurologist is he seeing. Egadds better stop giving it to him, although he doesn't take it that often. I told the doctor that I gave it to him. All he told me was Clozapine was better. Oh well guess we will have more sleepless nights. :-/ Bernie

I would have been a smilies on my post, but for some reason it does not work. Options are On.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Bernie -

Your husband is taking BOTH Seroquel (quetiapine) and Clozaril (clozapine)? Never heard of two antipsychotics being given. The best research data for treatment of psychosis is with Clozaril. The reason it's not used as often is due to the need for frequent blood tests as there are some dangerous side effects. But, again, the data is better for Clozaril.

As I may've mentioned before, an antipsychotic is a big-gun to use as a sleep aide. Is this why your husband takes antipsychotics? If so, you might read Boeve's "Continuum" paper and be sure you've tried all of the recommended sleep medications there.

The Tylenol PM is likely making the dementia worse.

Robin

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:35 am

Hi Debbie,
My husband took a while adjusting to Seroquel, slept a lot during the day at first. After much trial and error he's on 25mg AM, 50mg noon and 200 mg PM and sleeps all night with the occasional nap during the day, but sometimes awake all day. He actually still pulls an all-nighter once in a while where he'll just talk all night long, but not too many of those any more. Seroquel is our savior in my mind.
Mockturtle,
Ken's Seroquel comes in 25 mg tabs, you might want to check your pharmacy to get some. I used to have to cut them too, but doubt that I ever actually created a 25 mg pill, lol. Happy Holidays everyone! Sher

Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:26 am

Robin, yes Fran takes both of them. He has been on the Seroquil for around 2 years now, and was prescribed Clozapine aprox 2 1/2 months ago. He takes 1/2 pill of the 25mg before bedtime. Let me tell you it is one pain in the butt taking him for the weekly bloodwork. Just getting him in and getting him out of the care is a feat in itself. Because of the timing I cannot get it drawn from home.
After reading posts I am shocked at the dosage of Seroquil he is taking. I don't think any otherLO is on that high of a dosage. Let me know if I am wrong.
I have stated before that I would like him off all drugs, wait a couple of weeks and start over with one med and a time. His neurologist nixed the idea. After all what do I know. They have tried so many different drugs , so far he has been on Requip, Amatadine, Sinement and a few others which I cannot remember. Oh and he is on the Exelon patch 9.5 mg, which might be increased. Good Grief, Bernie

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:52 pm

Dale's primary early symptoms were hallucinations and delusions during the night. He now takes 100 mg Seroquel every night before bed. He was given 125 just briefly but he was too groggy the next day. We think 100 is just right for him.

He has been taking it every night since August of 2009. It works!

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Bernie,
I don't think that Fran's Seroquel is that high, I have heard others using much more, I guess it is another of one of those things that it depends on the person, I can't remember what my husband's dosage was but it wasn't all that much lower and honestly I would rather have my partner calmer or even sleeping more verses being agitated and combative !

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:18 pm
Profile WWW

Gee, Irene, I wish you could have been my dad's CNP! What a radical thought, to prefer having your LO calmer even if it means they aren't as "awake"! Lynn

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next