View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 advice for a new member 

Post advice for a new member
Hi everyone. I'm so glad that I have found you!! I am a new member.
The hospice doctor wants to put my mom on Haldol (low dose) for delusions, hallucinations, and agitation. From what I've read here, that is not a good drug for Lewy body patients. (I have read Boeve's continuum and many, many posts!) I'm worried about the effect of anti-psychotics on the parkinsonism that goes with lbd.

Does anyone have experience with a different drug for delusions and/or extreme agitation. Or can someone tell me first hand what adverse effects haldol can have on a lbd patient.

She has just recently started seroquel .25 mg (1 in morn, 2 at night) with ativan as needed for agitation. We need to do something asap. Her delusions and hallucinations are increasingly more difficult for her to handle and for us to know what to say or do. She is paranoid much of the time and thinks that we are against her. I read someone's post tonight and that is our situation. "The divert and distract strategy to prevent escalation is not working, she becomes angry if we do that or if we do not respond how she thinks we should."
It seems that nothing is easing her distress. I appreciate any help that members can offer!
Debbie

Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:37 pm

Post Re: advice for a new member
Debbie, first of all, welcome! Sorry you have to be here! Haldol and some other anti-psychotics can cause NMS [neuroleptic malignant syndrome] in persons with LBD or PD. Some symptoms are extreme rigidity and fever and it can be fatal. My husband developed it after taking Risperdal [risperidone] for about a month but recovered to baseline after discontinuing it. He was in a nursing home at the time and no one but me knew anything about it. I had just gotten lucky doing some online research where I found two British medical journal articles about risperidone issues with PD and LBD. I immediately called and told the doctor to please discontinue it immediately. My husband probably would have died within days. Haldol is even more dangerous than Risperdal. Most doctors are just not familiar enough with this disease to know the facts, I'm afraid.

There are some LBD Fact sheets you can print off [see the information section] that warn of these dangers. Take one to every doctor and dentist visit with your LO. And get some of the little LBD medical alert cards, too. The print is small but at least they can carry it their wallet or pocket.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:53 pm

Welcome aboard, Debbie. I don't write with any authority except that my husband has been taking Seroquel 100 mg before bed time since August of 2009. It allows us both to sleep during the nights.

We also had a lot of misinformation given to us in the beginning. You are in the right place. This is where I go for advice.

Again, welcome....

Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:01 am

I might add, as I forgot to in my above post, that my husband also takes Seroquel with good results.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:25 am

"Lewy body dementia" is a type of "Lewy body disease." No one with a "Lewy body disease" should be given Haldol.

Who is the prescribing MD for hospice? If it's the neurologist (and it hopefully is), then let the neurologist do the decision-making on medications.

Seroquel and Clozaril are the medications of choice for delusions and hallucinations. But not everyone can tolerate them. In some, Risperdal is the best choice.

You've probably read mixed things here about Ativan. It can cause paradoxic anxiety. Again, some can tolerate this medication. Some cannot.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:21 am

Welcome Debby, As the others have said, it's a rocky road and there's no one answer for everyone. Ativan didn't work for my husband, along with a few others.

Gerry

Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:59 am

Thanks everyone for replies.

I was able to talk with the neurologist before hospice gave mom a dose of haldol. I'm so grateful that I read of the possible problems with haldol on this website before that became an issue. What we have learned here has been invaluable, and knowing that you all are there is such a comfort!!

The neuro decided to increase seroquel to 2 at night and 1 in the morning to a total dose of just .75 mg, so we have lots of room for increasing that in the future. Since she seems to have tolerated Ativan, the dr. wants to give her one in the morn and one in the afternoon to keep it in her system. She seems to have calmed down just a bit, but she slept so much yesterday that my sister only gave her one seroquel last night and she was awake until 3:30. So hopefully tonight she will go back to 2 at bedtime and have a better sleep. The situation seems to change daily, and so do the challenges.

Thanks again,
Debbie

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:11 pm

Quote:
The situation seems to change daily, and so do the challenges.
That's for sure with Lewy, Debbie! Glad things are looking for now, anyway. :P

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:13 pm

Debbie, You will see often, that we are adjusting to the "new normal", that can be weekly, daily, sometimes the changes are by the hour. Hope your mom, and anyone else in the house gets a good rest tonight.
Take Care
Gerry

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi Debbie, and welcome to the site. So sad that you have to be here. My husband takes Seroquel 3 times a day, for a total of 175 mg daily. Also takes Ativan if needed. It does seem to help him. Bernie

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Gerry wrote:
... the "new normal", that can be weekly, daily, sometimes the changes are by the hour.

As you probably saw by my other post, Dale made a complete 'about face' this afternoon and we had a great time going to do some errands.

We've got to take advantage of those moments, don't we?

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Welcome Deb - like everyone else here knows life is full of lots of challenges and I hope you will find this site supportive and helpful. Lynn

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:46 pm

Welcome Deb,

My hubby takes 100mg of seroquel at bedtime along with 0.5mg of klonopin. He couldn't tolerate ativan.

It sure is a challenge to find the right mix.

Karen

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:49 pm

Debbie,
I'm glad to hear your neurologist is on top of things, and that you are wise to be utilizing that expertise.
Robin

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]