View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Sharing at home care giving ideas - What works? 

Post Re: Sharing at home care giving ideas - What works?
Frank has a bed cane, it has prevented him from falling out of bed. It may help a bit when he's trying to get up. We had a PT come to the house for several weeks and everything she taught Frank was forgotten by the time she left, he can't follow any directions. I know we shouldn't be pulling them up but when I try coaching I may as well be talking in a different language. I DON'T help him when he falls unless he's in the yard and there's nothing near him.

I wanted to get him a lift chair but wanted leather, they don't make them in leather, which I now understand. I decided we need leather more than we need a lift chair. I'm pleased to read the negative comments about the lift chair. Thanks again, we do need to help each other.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:51 pm

I was hoping you would respond to our conversation, Dorothea. In fact, I almost wrote to you asking to contribute some wisdom... The experts don't know everything. That much we know for sure. Those who have been in the trenches know much more. Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you. :P

Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:28 pm

Dorothea - you go girl! If it worked for you and your husband, and no one got hurt, that's great! Glad you found a solution that worked well for both of you.
Re: pressure sore & lift chair - for about a year before my dad could no longer walk, he kept his lift chair almost all the way in the "up" position. His right foot had a lot of pressure on it as he kind of perched with his butt against the chair, the toes of his right foot taking all the pressure. That's right where the pressure sore developed - behind his toes in the middle of the ball of his right foot. He spent all day and half the night in that chair before he became hospitalized, rarely walking or sitting elsewhere or in any other position. Lynn

Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:30 pm

I read somewhere but do not remember where that toes forming a claw was an indication of Lewy Body. Mr Bobby's toes turned under and I always thought it was a result of the bedcover being too tight. I was surprised to hear that it happened to others with LBD. I wish I could find that article.

Dorthea

Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:55 pm

DrP,
The clawed position of the fingers/hands and toes/foot is not specific to Lewy body dementia or Lewy body diseases. It happens in quite a few neurodegenerative disorders, unfortunately. It can also be a result of dopaminergic medication.
Robin

Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:13 am

Post off topic - broken bone in foot - Dorothea and Robin
Dorothea and Robin: Dale's injured foot is the result of a bone break in high school basketball which was not taken to a doctor and set. I've seen the X-rays. The break mended side by side rather than end to end. His feet both have a naturally high arch but the broken foot has an arch that is getting higher and thus the foot is getting shorter. The size is a full size smaller than the other foot.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Am I the only care-giver who gets tension neck pain?

The pain is usually minor during the day ... but I can't relax at night. I use a neck pillow that can be heated in the microwave. I also have a neck pillow for sleeping - but the problem seems to be the long hours of immobility during sleep. I often awake with huge pain.

I have a book of neck exercises - which I don't often do - but would probably be helpful.

I know the advice will be about doing something to relieve the stress..... but, the pain is not during the day.... it seems to develop during the night and I need relaxing sleep!

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2