View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 URGENT!!! Any info on Valtrex ??? 

Post URGENT!!! Any info on Valtrex ???
I am desparate! My father (LBD) is in hosp. with UTI/ blood infection. I THINK he had a bad reaction to Levaquin, because he slept an entire night and the next day, wouldn't eat, wouldn't talk.... he was just "out to lunch." Within 24 hrs. of taking the levaquin, he started to break out around his mouth. The doctor and nurses blamed it on shaving. The sores got progressively worse, have blistered and are draining. In the meantime, it has moved to his lips and to the his nasal membranes, his tongue is a little swollen, lips are sore, making it hard to eat and drink. Now dermatologist has prescribed VALTREX (VALACYCLOVIR HYDROCHLORIDE TABLET). Her cultures have not come back yet, but she is treating for herpes/ shingles. I am afraid to let him take valtrex because of the possible side effects. HELP!!! Does anyone know about Valtrex??? Is it "safe?"

I have checked all the drug lists on this site; the valtrex website, the wallet card....

Thanks everyone if you can give me quick imput!!!!

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:25 am

Post Re: URGENT!!! Any info on Valtrex ???
I know nothing about Valtrex .... but there is another post on the subject here - on this site....

Look under 'cause of death' and see the posting by Inkdipper in 2008. In includes experience with Valtrex - which was apparently OK.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:49 am

My husband had urosepsis in January of 2009 and he almost died. It's a life-threatening disease. What a nightmare to get shingles on top of it! If, in fact, it is shingles. I've never run across any reference to problems with antivirals and LBD. My nursing drug handbook does not indicate any particular risks for dementia. In my opinion, the danger of not treating it is a greater risk. You will be in my thoughts and prayers! --Pat

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:54 am

It could be that the "reaction" to Levaquin was a "reaction" to the UTI/blood infection?? Are they treating the UTI/blood infection with any antibiotic?

The post on Valtrex that Leone mentions is here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=817

Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:11 am

It sounds like he's on Levaquin. My husband was on IV Levaquin in the ICU for about a week.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:45 am

I don't know anything about Valtrex, but Frank was put on Levaquin for the possible start of a lung infection. He was wiped out for days, he wasn't able to have PT and he was there for rehab. The NH had another patient on Levaquin with the same results. Once he was off it he gradually got back to "normal". Good Luck, Gerry

Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:12 pm

Been taking it myself for years, since I got a "cold sore" virus from a friend's child. My dr. said it was a particularly wicked strain of herpes, and I need to take Valtrex when it flairs up. Never had any side effects, know lots of people who take it and nothing bad has happened to anyone so far. Good luck! Lynn

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:29 pm

Thanks everyone for your quick response and feedback. We were ok with the valtrex, did not seem to have any really bad side effects, and after taking it 3 times a day for a week, most of the "infection" is gone and we (I) should be able to resume shaving my father's face by next week.
That Levaquin almost did him in. No thanks to the dr. in the hospital.... but that's another story for a different day.
Thank you... thank you....Thank you all so much.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]