View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Sinemet - physical incapacity vs. increased hallucinations 

Post Re: Sinemet - physical incapacity vs. increased hallucinatio
He was only looking for a reason for the Technicolor experience, I suspect. I did not ask if it was related to Lewy. Chances are that he wouldn't say anyhow. :P

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:50 pm

Every time I've fainted, it's been a technicolor experience. That's why I'm suggesting looking into post-prandial hypotension as the cause of the fainting and technicolor experience. OK, I've said enough on this topic.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:14 pm

Just had a very informative phone call from the RN at the ALF. She was only on a 4 week contract from New Zealand and she has been extremely concerned about dad and has gone into bat for him with the doctor over his increasing hallicinations and delusions. Dad was on Seroquel 12.5mg tid but they have increased it to 100mg at night as apparantly dad has not been sleeping well and even though I always ask him how he is sleeping I realize I never get a straight answer so hopefully this will help him to rest better at night. He is showing more and more Parkinsons type behaviour ie extremely stooped over and looking for things on the floor and seeing things also on the floor and relaying this to the staff. She also convinced doctor to prescribe sinemet for these parkinson type behaviours. But the most encouraging thing she did was give mum a call and urged her to seek out the Alzheimer and Parkinson support groups in the area and gave her the numbers to call. The RN is aware of the strained relationship between mum and dad and suggested that her visits with dad abusing her is very typical and they usually take their frustration out on the very person they actually feel the closest to and she should have a friend with her when she visits if possible. Dianne also told her that we lose LO's when we place them in these facilities and then we lose them again when they pass and it is hard. She received the suggestion well and told Dianne that she had got more out of their conversation today than any she had had since dad had been admitted and she would be calling those numbers. I only pray she does. I did explain to Dianne, though she was aware any how that the feelings that mum has for dad go way back before the diagnoses and I am presently letting things take their own path and staying out of trying to heal the relationship.
I even decided not to boycott mums kids xmas party as originally planned which was done I out of spite I am ashamed to admit and take my kids down like I have done since my first born 11 years ago and surprise her. The fact she has not asked me if I am coming this year sticks in my throat but I can only hope if she still doesn't in the next week that the surprise will be welcomed.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:26 am

Kelli, I have tears in my eyes reading your wonderful post! You've been in my thoughts and prayers and I hope things will settle down a bit for you. You said:
Quote:
Dianne also told her that we lose LO's when we place them in these facilities and then we lose them again when they pass and it is hard.
I can tell you from experience that we lose them even when they are home with us. :cry:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:28 am

Post response to Kelli
...'they usually take their frustration out on the very person they actually feel the closest to'

Wise words, I think. It has been true in my family that the older couples often have difficulty communicating with each other when illness enters the picture.

My sister in law cared for her parents for the last ten years of their lives and she couldn't believe how much they hated each other. They had been married for almost 70 years. The issues that they had ignored for many of those years became points of aggravation. The wife slept until noon and went to bed in the wee hours. The husband was up riding a bike at 5 am. He was 90 years old and had prostate cancer. He constantly complained that his wife was lazy.

After he died, she began getting up early to go to the breakfast provided by their ALF. She said she didn't know why she hadn't done that before.

The idea that the final years in a marriage are all love and peace is rare, I think.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:00 am

Too much togetherness in later years for most. We both worked and weren't used to being together all the time. We did have a lot of fun but there was also more friction. It seems to me that would be expected. We older people tend to be more set in our ways and opinionated, too, I think. I eventually went back to work in 1999 to get away from the situation but didn't realize at the time he had early Lewy [probably even that early!].

My parents were the exception. My father retired at 50 and he and mother did everything together and enjoyed his retirement [Mother never worked outside the home]. He died at 72 in 1994. Mom still misses him but is content and healthy at 85.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4