View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 diagnoses and treatment 

Post diagnoses and treatment
I will always remember our personal care physician, Dr. Walker and our geriatric psychiatrist Dr Coe. They did not give a diagnoses but they treated the symptoms and allowed me to be on the team. I directed them to the Dr Boeve Comtinuum. God bless them all!!

I'm sure Home Health thought of me as a crotchety old lady but they respected my wishes concerning Mr Bobby [and my schedule].

I received a diagnoses, post mortem, from Mayo Clinic and Dr D. Dickson with help from Robin.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/09/30/ba ... tml?hpt=C1

I thought this article worthy of passing along.

Dorthea

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice" When I joined in 2007 this is the way Mr B. introduced me to the people only he knew,he added "You need to listen to her" he was 89 then, death due to Lewy Body Dementia/pneumonia in 2009.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:54 pm

Post Re: diagnoses and treatment
The article is right on, Dorthea! And this is especially true with diseases like LBD, about which most physicians know nothing. Even the 'experts' seem to be just guessing at treatments. After dozens of physicians involved in my husband's care we have found a good primary care doctor who genuinely CARES about my husband and works with us on treatment and care management. He doesn't always get it right but he is responsive to my husband's changing needs. He also puts up with my many concerns and requests and never makes us feel we are wasting his time. God bless him!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:15 pm

This article sure does hit home. I am able to strongly advocate for Del..if you'll excuse the expression I'm ready to go 'balls to the wall' for him. But in my personal relationship with MY doctor I am fairly passive and what the article describes as a 'perfect patient' in that I don't cause waves ... in fact I hardly cause a ripple. I am sitting here wondering why that is so. And I have no answer.

Any theories?

Nan

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Nan, I'm pretty much the same way. Maybe it's the maternal instinct taking over. After all, we'd go to any length for our children, too, but not necessarily for ourselves??

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:33 pm

You are probably right on, Pat. And I really do feel that I have to protect him the way I protected my children. In lots of ways, he is my child. He's my child, but he's my husband. And my affection for him is failrly maternal.

Nan

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:02 pm

Yes, that's just the way I feel toward my husband now. Tender, maternal, protective.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:07 pm

Funny, I feel the same way toward my mother.

Dorthea, thanks so much for posting that article! Just this week, I had a discussion with my older sister, who told me it was wrong to question, disagree or replace a doctor. This was when I told her I was so proud of our younger sister who questioned, disagreed and finally replaced a doctor treating our mother.

Yes, doctors do deserve respect - the same respect that the rest of us deserve. I think that part of this respect is to treat them like partners in my mother's care - asking questions until I understand the what and why and providing my own insight into whether something is working or not.

Funny thing is that the doctors I consider really good want a patient's family to be partners, as we can observe much more in the time we spend with our LO than they can in 20 minutes. I've also observed that these great doctors really like to explain things - maybe they're looking for opportunities to share their knowledge with someone who shows interest.

Most of the doctors we deal with are outstanding. Frankly, I think it is insulting to them when we allow a doctor that isn't up to their standard to treat our mother. It would be like saying that a sub-standard doctor is their professional equal. I'd hate that.

Oh, and I dropped a doctor of my own, a cardiologist, after a couple of years - when it was obvious that our personalities did not make for the perfect doctor-patient relationship. He was a good doctor, just not the right one for me. Now I have a wonderful cardiologist. She actually hugs her patients, when appropriate (good news or bad news).

Kate

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:18 pm

Thank-you for sharing this article! I have always been a "bad" patient. It's just my personality. But my parents were both very "good" patients, especially my mother. And yes, in their day, that's how it was: you didn't question the doctor! My sister is a nurse and has gotten mad at me and frustrated when I called, wrote to, and questioned Daddy's doctors. But it has always been the right thing to do.
Everybody's just trying their best, including doctors. We don't know it all about dementia. So we really have to pay attention to behaviors, feelings and reactions, especially when a new drug is started. And let the doctor know ASAP!

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]